Are you responsible for one or more Windows computers? If yes then the odds are really good that you have had to deal with cleaning viruses and malware. Did you know F-Secure offers a free Rescue CD built on Knoppix for just this purpose? Let's take a look at how easy the F-Secure Rescue CD is to use.
Like with most everything, the first step is knowing where to download what you need... in this case that is from www.f-secure.com/en_EMEA/security/tools/rescue-cd. Once you download the ZIP and then burn the ISO it contains, stick your new disk in the infected computer and reboot. Upon rebooting you should be greeted with a screen like this:
After hitting enter you will see your basic malware removal warning...
Next it will try and update itself from either a USB drive or the internet.
Once it has the newest version of everything it will present you with a list of all the partitions it sees and let you choose which ones to scan.
After you select what you want to scan it will show you the progress and allow you to see what is being scanned and what malware has been found.
The report that follows will show you any errors that were encountered and will also show you a summary page with the scan's results.
That's it. Linux has once again made life simpler. The system should now at least be clean enough that you can use traditional tools that run inside of Windows to finish up.
Gene Liverman is a Systems Administrator of *nix and VMware at a university.
- Readers' Choice Awards 2013
- Mars Needs Women
- RSS Feeds
- Sublime Text: One Editor to Rule Them All?
- December 2013 Issue of Linux Journal: Readers' Choice
- New Products
- Raspberry Pi: the Perfect Home Server
- IBM Will Minimize Impact of Future Disasters
- Linux Systems Administrator
- Tech Tip: Really Simple HTTP Server with Python
- why is GNOME 3 in the fifth position at 14.1 %?
3 hours 4 min ago
- Sublime Is Brilliant!
8 hours 7 min ago
8 hours 27 min ago
- Rapid[Disk,Cache] better than native ram caching?
8 hours 52 min ago
- Nothing is perfect
9 hours 5 min ago
- Mixtapes Community
14 hours 44 min ago
- KDE is one true DE
15 hours 18 min ago
- Command Line Shells (Bash, Zsh, etc.) are 2nd place
15 hours 47 min ago
17 hours 42 min ago
- yes it's Jupiter Broadcasting
19 hours 1 min ago