Truecrypt 5.0 Released: Disk Encryption Software for Linux
Truecrypt is free and open source disk encryption software for Linux. The below video demonstrates the new graphical user interface for Truecrypt 5, released February 12.
* Creates a virtual encrypted disk within a file and mounts it as a real disk.
* Encrypts an entire partition or storage device such as USB flash drive or hard drive.
* Encrypts a partition or drive where Windows is installed (pre-boot authentication).
* Encryption is automatic, real-time (on-the-fly) and transparent.
* Provides two levels of plausible deniability, in case an adversary forces you to reveal the password:
1) Hidden volume (steganography – more information may be found here).
2) No TrueCrypt volume can be identified (volumes cannot be distinguished from random data).
* Encryption algorithms: AES-256, Serpent, and Twofish. Mode of operation: XTS.
Carlie Fairchild is the publisher of Linux Journal.