Tech Tip: Retrieve Disk Info from the Command Line
You can use the following command line tools to retrieve the make and model of your hard drives without the need to open up your system.
First, you need the device names of your disks, for this you can use df or cat /proc/partitions. Example device names are names such as /dev/hda or /dev/sdb. For the following examples, where applicable, I will use /dev/sda as my disk device.
Use the lshw command:
$ lshw -class disk ... -disk:0 product: ST3250310NS vendor: Seagate version: SN04 serial: 9SF0000TH size: 232GiB (250GB)
Use the smartctl command:
$ smartctl -i /dev/sda ... Device Model: ST3250310NS Serial Number: 9SF0000TH Firmware Version: SN04 ...
Note: You may need to install the 'smartmontools' package, your output will vary depending on smartctl version and disk make/model.
Use the hdparm command:
$ hdparm -i /dev/sda /dev/sda: Model=ST3250310NS, FwRev=SN04, SerialNo=9SF0000TH ...
Use the hwinfo command:
$ hwinfo --disk ... Model: "ST3250310NS" Device: "ST3250310NS" Revision: "SN04" Serial ID: "9SF0000TH" ...
Note: You may need to install the 'hwinfo' package.
Note, you will need to be root to get the full output from these commands.
And one additional way that you can determine the model and serial number of your disk:
$ ls /dev/disk/by-id ata-ST3250310NS_9SF0000TH ata-ST3250310NS_9SF0000TH-part1 ata-ST3250310NS_9SF0000TH-part2 ata-ST3250310NS_9SF0000TH-part3
Here the model number is ST3250310NS, and the serial number is 9SF0000TH.
- Readers' Choice Awards 2013
- Linux Kernel News - November 2013
- Mars Needs Women
- December 2013 Issue of Linux Journal: Readers' Choice
- RSS Feeds
- Sublime Text: One Editor to Rule Them All?
- Raspberry Pi: the Perfect Home Server
- Advanced Hard Drive Caching Techniques
- Web Administration Scripts
- IBM Will Minimize Impact of Future Disasters
- thanks for share, great
4 hours 36 min ago
- There are factors which are
9 hours 36 min ago
- Gnome 3 ?
10 hours 21 min ago
- Reply to comment | Linux Journal
14 hours 28 min ago
- "Redis RethinkDB 4.5%" on Best NoSQL Databases
1 day 34 min ago
- on the ground
1 day 6 hours ago
- I was able to read the whole
1 day 8 hours ago
- since i have read the title i
1 day 11 hours ago
- Belanja Online Cari Voucher Diskon
1 day 11 hours ago
- The kernel doesn't really
2 days 1 min ago