Tech Tip: Getting Your MAC and IP Address In a Script
Ever wanted to get the MAC or IP address of your computer in a Linux shell script? The following two commands should work on most flavours of Linux/Unix.
To get your IP address:
/sbin/ifconfig \ | grep '\<inet\>' \ | sed -n '1p' \ | tr -s ' ' \ | cut -d ' ' -f3 \ | cut -d ':' -f2
To get your MAC address (Hardware address):
/sbin/ifconfig \ | grep 'eth0' \ | tr -s ' ' \ | cut -d ' ' -f5
Note that this retrieves the address of the eth0 interface by default.
- Readers' Choice Awards 2014 Poll
- Give new life to old phones and tablets with these tips!
- HEC Montréal: Deployment of a Large-Scale Mail Installation
- Memory Ordering in Modern Microprocessors, Part I
- Overlay Images on Video Using MPlayer and MEncoder
- Source Code Scanners for Better Code
- Should Software Developers Be Liable for their Code?
- ebook2cw-E-book to Morse Code Conversion
- RSS Feeds