Tech Tip: Getting Your MAC and IP Address In a Script
Ever wanted to get the MAC or IP address of your computer in a Linux shell script? The following two commands should work on most flavours of Linux/Unix.
To get your IP address:
/sbin/ifconfig \ | grep '\<inet\>' \ | sed -n '1p' \ | tr -s ' ' \ | cut -d ' ' -f3 \ | cut -d ':' -f2
To get your MAC address (Hardware address):
/sbin/ifconfig \ | grep 'eth0' \ | tr -s ' ' \ | cut -d ' ' -f5
Note that this retrieves the address of the eth0 interface by default.
- On Your Marks, Get Set...Gutsy Gibbon!
- VMware's Clarity Design System
- Let's Go to Mars with Martian Lander
- Applied Expert Systems, Inc.'s CleverView for TCP/IP on Linux
- Papa's Got a Brand New NAS
- My Childhood in a Cigar Box
- OpenSSL Hacks
- Raspberry Pi: the Perfect Home Server
- Rogue Wave Software's TotalView for HPC and CodeDynamics
- Simplenote, Simply Awesome!