Synthesizing Voice From the Command Line
I don't do a lot of audio/video stuff with my system, but the other day I had the urge to see if there was some voice synthesis software available on Linux and it turned out that I already had it installed: it's called Festival. Turns out there are a number of voice synthesis and analysis packages available.
Festival is, according to the website:
Festival offers a general framework for building speech synthesis systems as well as including examples of various modules. As a whole it offers full text to speech through a number APIs: from shell level, though [sic] a Scheme command interpreter, as a C++ library, from Java, and an Emacs interface. Festival is multi-lingual (currently English (British and American), and Spanish) though English is the most advanced.
As far as simple commands, Festival comes with two: saytime and text2wave. Saytime does what you would expect, it speaks the time (as well as outputting the spoken text to stdout). Note though, the time that is output tends to be less than specific:
$ saytime The time is now, just after half past 10, in the morning.
A wave file of the output is attached (time.wav).
The second command that comes with Festival is text2wave which converts text read from stdin to a .wav file output:
$ echo Your job has completed | text2wave >job.wav $ aplay job.wav # OR $ echo Your job has completed | text2wave | aplay
The wave file is attached (job.wav).
Mitch Frazier is an Associate Editor for Linux Journal.
- Two Pi R
- Readers' Choice Awards 2013
- A Handy U-Boot Trick
- The Geek's Guide to the Coolest 2013 Holiday Gifts
- Sublime Text: One Editor to Rule Them All?
- RSS Feeds
- GIMP Shmimp, Give Me a Browser
- Raspberry Pi: the Perfect Home Server
- Tinker with Molecular Dynamics for Fun and Profit
- Linux Kernel News - October 2013
- máy lọc nước
1 min 12 sec ago
- Máy lọc nước
4 min 7 sec ago
- Reply to comment | Linux Journal
50 min 28 sec ago
- Definitely cool stuff here
1 hour 51 min ago
- thanks for the information
3 hours 2 min ago
- nice information thanks
3 hours 41 min ago
6 hours 37 min ago
- The lost opportunity of security
18 hours 28 min ago
- Andhra Pradesh has a variety
22 hours 26 min ago
- Very nice write up. I too
1 day 6 hours ago