Stop Installing Outdated Ubuntu!
Have you ever installed Linux, only to be greeted immediately with the system update notification applet? If you have a fast Internet connection or, even better, a local Ubuntu mirror (see http://www.linuxjournal.com/video/mirror-partner-repo-canonical for some tips on creating your own local mirror), you can use the "Installation Minimal CD" and get a fully up-to-date system the first time it boots.
Another advantage to using the Installation Minimal CD is that it allows you to install any official Ubuntu variant with the same CD. Whether you want Ubuntu, Xubuntu, Kubuntu or even the more specialized *buntus for video editing and such, the Minimal CD can do it. Download a copy at https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/MinimalCD. It's less than 20MB!
- Readers' Choice Awards 2014 Poll
- Give new life to old phones and tablets with these tips!
- Tech Tip: Really Simple HTTP Server with Python
- Source Code Scanners for Better Code
- Memory Ordering in Modern Microprocessors, Part I
- RSS Feeds
- Linux Systems Administrator
- Senior Perl Developer
- Raspberry Pi: the Perfect Home Server