Setting the Resolution in an X-less VM
Ever been working in a VM that is command line only and wished it wasn’t so small? Well, that was how I felt constantly until now. Step on past the break to see how to change the resolution in an X-less install by utilizing uvesafb.
Let’s look at this from two points of view: Ubuntu and Gentoo.
Ubuntu with Grub2:
First, we are assuming that you want to make your window 1024x768-24... adjust as you see fit.
Install v86d so you can get uvesafb:
gene@ubuntu01:~$ sudo apt-get install v86d
Edit /etc/default/grub so that the lines referenced below are changed:
... GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash nomodeset video=uvesafb:mode_option=1024x768-24,mtrr=3,scroll=ywrap" ... GRUB_GFXMODE=1024x768
Now add the following to /etc/initramfs-tools/modules:
uvesafb mode_option=1024x768-24 mtrr=3 scroll=ywrap
Now we need to force the use of the framebuffer:
gene@ubuntu01:~$ echo FRAMEBUFFER=y | sudo tee /etc/initramfs-tools/conf.d/splash
Lastly we need to apply these changes and reboot:
gene@ubuntu01:~$ sudo update-grub2 gene@ubuntu01:~$ sudo update-initramfs -u gene@ubuntu01:~$ sudo reboot
I could reinvent the wheel here... or I can just let Spock, the author of uvesafb, tell us how this is done at http://dev.gentoo.org/~spock/projects/uvesafb/
That's it. I hope you enjoy having a little more real estate in your command line only VM's.
Gene Liverman is a Systems Administrator of *nix and VMware at a university.
|Using Salt Stack and Vagrant for Drupal Development||May 20, 2013|
|Making Linux and Android Get Along (It's Not as Hard as It Sounds)||May 16, 2013|
|Drupal Is a Framework: Why Everyone Needs to Understand This||May 15, 2013|
|Home, My Backup Data Center||May 13, 2013|
|Non-Linux FOSS: Seashore||May 10, 2013|
|Trying to Tame the Tablet||May 08, 2013|
- RSS Feeds
- Making Linux and Android Get Along (It's Not as Hard as It Sounds)
- Using Salt Stack and Vagrant for Drupal Development
- New Products
- Validate an E-Mail Address with PHP, the Right Way
- Drupal Is a Framework: Why Everyone Needs to Understand This
- A Topic for Discussion - Open Source Feature-Richness?
- Download the Free Red Hat White Paper "Using an Open Source Framework to Catch the Bad Guy"
- Tech Tip: Really Simple HTTP Server with Python
- Readers' Choice Awards
- Please correct the URL for Salt Stack's web site
6 min 22 sec ago
- Android is Linux -- why no better inter-operation
2 hours 21 min ago
- Connecting Android device to desktop Linux via USB
2 hours 50 min ago
- Find new cell phone and tablet pc
3 hours 48 min ago
5 hours 17 min ago
- Automatically updating Guest Additions
6 hours 25 min ago
- I like your topic on android
7 hours 12 min ago
- Reply to comment | Linux Journal
7 hours 33 min ago
- This is the easiest tutorial
13 hours 47 min ago
- Ahh, the Koolaid.
19 hours 26 min ago