SCO is Back, and This Time It's Personal
We all thought it was time to party, that the enemy was finally vanquished, that it was time for Champagne and cigars. We learned our lesson yesterday afternoon, though, when SCO smacked us all in the face with a hundred million dollars.
That's right, SCO suddenly has deep pockets, courtesy of their friend Stephen Norris, the uber-finance geek. Norris and his private equity firm — Stephen Norris Capital Partners, LLC — have decided to buy a stake in SCO, though the exact amount won't be clear until the Utah courts decide how much SCO has to pay IBM and Novell. What is clear is that they suddenly have a $95 million line-of-credit to pursue all the litigation their cold, black hearts desire. Others have pointed out that these guys are the biggest, baddest, beat-the-crap-out-of-anyone-in-their-way-ist, and won't have a moment's pause about coming after everyone in the Linux world, from IBM and Novell right down to us, the everyday users.
As the ever-vigilant White Knights over at Groklaw point out, there's still some hope — the all-powerful Bankruptcy court can quash them with the stroke of a pen, and the European Commission not to mention the SEC may well have a thing or two to say — but the outlook certainly isn't as rosy as it was on Wednesday.
Lord have mercy...
Justin Ryan is a Contributing Editor for Linux Journal.
- Two Pi R
- Readers' Choice Awards 2013
- A Handy U-Boot Trick
- The Geek's Guide to the Coolest 2013 Holiday Gifts
- Sublime Text: One Editor to Rule Them All?
- RSS Feeds
- GIMP Shmimp, Give Me a Browser
- Raspberry Pi: the Perfect Home Server
- Tinker with Molecular Dynamics for Fun and Profit
- Tech Tip: Really Simple HTTP Server with Python
- Definitely cool stuff here
24 min 47 sec ago
- thanks for the information
1 hour 35 min ago
- nice information thanks
2 hours 14 min ago
5 hours 10 min ago
- The lost opportunity of security
17 hours 56 sec ago
- Andhra Pradesh has a variety
20 hours 59 min ago
- Very nice write up. I too
1 day 4 hours ago
- That's great article fill of
1 day 10 hours ago
- برامج مجانية
1 day 11 hours ago
- Flash? No chance.
1 day 22 hours ago