The Ruport Book Project has announced that they’ve begun shipping pre-orders of their book. The primary authors, Gregory Brown and Michale Milner, are core developers of the Ruport reporting system for Ruby as well.
The book has been written in a tremendously open fashion, with Gregory and Michael gathering suggestions, feedback, and even editing through an open mailing list, and making frequent ‘beta’ releases of the book available for download—in fact, you can download free copies of the completed book as well.
I’ve written about different publishing styles before (here, here, here, and here if you’d like to go and look at them), but these guys are really pushing toward the edges of a community driven, boutique/self-publishing model.
From the looking that I’ve done, this looks like an excellent book. If you’re interested in reporting with Ruby, or you just want to support this kind of effort, you can always pick up a copy from LuLu.com.
-- -pate http://on-ruby.blogspot.com
- Readers' Choice Awards 2013
- IBM Will Minimize Impact of Future Disasters
- RSS Feeds
- Sublime Text: One Editor to Rule Them All?
- December 2013 Issue of Linux Journal: Readers' Choice
- Linux Systems Administrator
- Tech Tip: Really Simple HTTP Server with Python
- Senior Perl Developer
- Technical Support Rep
- Linux Kernel News - October 2013
- Reply to comment | Linux Journal
11 hours 48 min ago
- It's Jupiter
12 hours 47 min ago
- GIMP is certainly a graphic
13 hours 50 min ago
- Thanks For Your Sharing
18 hours 35 min ago
- Studying linux, and looking
22 hours 1 min ago
- voting for Best Linux Distribution
1 day 6 hours ago
- tizen vs android
1 day 10 hours ago
- i switch my choice from KDE
1 day 11 hours ago
1 day 14 hours ago
- Belanja Online
1 day 16 hours ago