The Ruport Book Project has announced that they’ve begun shipping pre-orders of their book. The primary authors, Gregory Brown and Michale Milner, are core developers of the Ruport reporting system for Ruby as well.
The book has been written in a tremendously open fashion, with Gregory and Michael gathering suggestions, feedback, and even editing through an open mailing list, and making frequent ‘beta’ releases of the book available for download—in fact, you can download free copies of the completed book as well.
I’ve written about different publishing styles before (here, here, here, and here if you’d like to go and look at them), but these guys are really pushing toward the edges of a community driven, boutique/self-publishing model.
From the looking that I’ve done, this looks like an excellent book. If you’re interested in reporting with Ruby, or you just want to support this kind of effort, you can always pick up a copy from LuLu.com.
-- -pate http://on-ruby.blogspot.com
- Readers' Choice Awards 2013
- Linux Kernel News - November 2013
- Mars Needs Women
- Sublime Text: One Editor to Rule Them All?
- RSS Feeds
- Raspberry Pi: the Perfect Home Server
- Advanced Hard Drive Caching Techniques
- December 2013 Issue of Linux Journal: Readers' Choice
- Web Administration Scripts
- New Products
- "Redis RethinkDB 4.5%" on Best NoSQL Databases
42 min 11 sec ago
- on the ground
7 hours 3 min ago
- I was able to read the whole
8 hours 33 min ago
- since i have read the title i
11 hours 53 min ago
- Belanja Online Cari Voucher Diskon
11 hours 58 min ago
- The kernel doesn't really
1 day 9 min ago
1 day 40 min ago
1 day 40 min ago
1 day 2 hours ago
- This should be very helpful
1 day 3 hours ago