PC Recycling Consumes 20x More Energy Than Reuse
Conventional wisdom: recycling is typically the best option for the stuff I don't want anymore.
Little-known factoid: recycling a PC consumes 20 times more energy than reusing it, according to a study by Eric Williams for the United Nations.
I was pretty stunned when I read that fact, too. As fun as it is to upgrade to the fastest machine I can get, figures like the above give me pause when I think about upgrading and disposing of my older PC. It also makes you realize the incredible environmental impact that Microsoft is belching onto the planet by producing such a lousy piece of bloatware that is Windows Vista. Just think about how many PCs were made irrelevant in the eyes of their owners when they chose to upgrade to Vista, as well as how much energy went into the the recycling of the 'old' PCs and the creation of their replacements. We should tally it up and send Microsoft the bill for the economic externalities it dumps onto society.
Luckily we Linuxers have more options. We can obtain those old PCs and load Linux onto them, which is certainly lighter than Windows Vista. Furthermore, if the PC is creaky old, we can install Linux with lightweight desktops like Xfce.
Now I only wish we could somehow install Splashtop onto older machines. Splashtop is a Linux-based application that you can boot right into within few seconds (even if it's a Windows machine) without a full-fledged boot to access core applications like Firefox, a mail client and Skype. I would go out and get a bunch of old laptops and have them around the house for spur-of-the-moment Web and email access.
Wouldn't that be a great use for our old hardware?
James Gray is Products Editor for Linux Journal
- Readers' Choice Awards 2013
- Linux Kernel News - November 2013
- Mars Needs Women
- RSS Feeds
- Sublime Text: One Editor to Rule Them All?
- Raspberry Pi: the Perfect Home Server
- Advanced Hard Drive Caching Techniques
- December 2013 Issue of Linux Journal: Readers' Choice
- Web Administration Scripts
- Linux Systems Administrator
- "Redis RethinkDB 4.5%" on Best NoSQL Databases
1 hour 6 min ago
- on the ground
7 hours 28 min ago
- I was able to read the whole
8 hours 57 min ago
- since i have read the title i
12 hours 17 min ago
- Belanja Online Cari Voucher Diskon
12 hours 23 min ago
- The kernel doesn't really
1 day 33 min ago
1 day 1 hour ago
1 day 1 hour ago
1 day 3 hours ago
- This should be very helpful
1 day 4 hours ago