openSUSE Goes Offline To Transform
Having your Linux distribution suddenly disappear from the internet would put a strain on anyone. It does happen from time to time, however, something the team at Fedora can testify to. Announcing in advance that your distro will pull a David Copperfield would prove far less stressful, and that's exactly what the good people at openSUSE have done.
According to an openSUSE news post from Novell's Lars Vogdt, planned maintenance at the SUSE Linux office in Nuremberg, Germany will result in interruptions to a number of openSUSE's services. Though it affects only the Maxtorhof building on the Nuremberg campus, the maintenance in question is to the building's transformers, resulting in the entire site losing power for the duration of the work. As a result, all servers at the site, including those hosting openSUSE services, will be taken offline.
Failover servers are in place to handle some opensuse.org services, including:
The project's downtime page indicates that the failover servers for each will provide static content during the downtime, with the exception of download.opensuse.org, which bears the note that it "maybe [sic] a bit slower."
The page also notes services that will not have failover servers. They include, among others:
There is a particular note that, due to lists.opensuse.org not having a failover server, all openSUSE mailing lists will be down for the duration of the outage. According to Vogdt, building on build.opensuse.org was to end yesterday, Thursday the 10th, so that the packages on the project's mirrors would be current during the downtime.
While the work itself will take place on Saturday and Sunday, the downtime will begin today, Friday the 11th, at 13:00 UTC (9:00 AM EDT) and is scheduled to end Monday, September 14, at 7:00 UTC (3:00 AM EDT).
Justin Ryan is a Contributing Editor for Linux Journal.
- Readers' Choice Awards 2013
- Linux Kernel News - November 2013
- Advanced Hard Drive Caching Techniques
- December 2013 Issue of Linux Journal: Readers' Choice
- Sublime Text: One Editor to Rule Them All?
- Mars Needs Women
- Raspberry Pi: the Perfect Home Server
- Web Administration Scripts
- Linux Systems Administrator
- IBM Will Minimize Impact of Future Disasters
- thanks for share, great
15 hours 35 min ago
- There are factors which are
20 hours 35 min ago
- Gnome 3 ?
21 hours 20 min ago
- Reply to comment | Linux Journal
1 day 1 hour ago
- "Redis RethinkDB 4.5%" on Best NoSQL Databases
1 day 11 hours ago
- on the ground
1 day 17 hours ago
- I was able to read the whole
1 day 19 hours ago
- since i have read the title i
1 day 22 hours ago
- Belanja Online Cari Voucher Diskon
1 day 22 hours ago
- The kernel doesn't really
2 days 11 hours ago