openSUSE to Celebrate 11.4 with Virtual Dance Party
Many large projects mark their significant releases with launch parties. Some become legend for their over-the-top festivities. Photos populate the share sites. Blogs are written for weeks following. But openSUSE has come up with a uniquely Gecko idea: a Secondlife.com virtual dance party.
On February 3, Bruno Friedman announced the clever launch party. In his announcement Friedman listed the three dates of March 9 10 & 11 2011 at 16:00 UTC. For those in the US that translates to 11:00 AM Eastern Time, 10:00 AM Central, or 8:00 AM Pacific. The location is described as Macedonia at 183,213,21 coordinates or search for the Geekos group and join. It's an all you can virtually eat, drink, and dance party. Of course there will be lots of pictures, installation movies, and discussions.
To test the electronic waters, a Release Candidate 1 launch party was held. About 50 participants crowded the dance floor at the two and a half hour event featuring Pop/Rock music and lots of comradery. The tests proved successful and as Friedman said, "The place rocks!"
Several DJ parties are planned for the coming weeks. DJ Britt will lead festivities on February 20, February 27, March 06, and March 13. DJ Lillith will host the main events on March 9, March 10, and March 11. Other intermediate events will also be held, so check time and dates at openSUSE.org.
Promotional t-shirts are being provided, so go pick your avatar and party with the lizard.
Susan Linton is a Linux writer and the owner of tuxmachines.org.
- Download "Linux Management with Red Hat Satellite: Measuring Business Impact and ROI"
- diff -u: What's New in Kernel Development
- Numerical Python
- Use Linux as a SAN Provider
- Linux-Based X Terminals with XDMCP
- RSS Feeds
- NSA: Linux Journal is an "extremist forum" and its readers get flagged for extra surveillance
- Great Scott! It's Version 13!
- Tech Tip: Really Simple HTTP Server with Python
- Divx# Watch The Other Woman Full HD Online Streaming Viooz