Non-Linux FOSS: Classic Shell
Even those of us on the Linux side of the fence have been watching Microsoft's Windows 8 roll-out—albeit for us, it has been with morbid fascination. Granted, we're not without our drastic changes (ahem, Unity), but the new interface Microsoft has chosen for version 8 is seemingly unusable for most people. The iconic Start menu has been taken away without a clear replacement.
If you're stuck on a Windows 8 machine and wish you had a Start menu, fear not; the Open Source community is here to help. With Classic Shell, not only can you get a Start menu back, but you also can choose what it looks like and configure every aspect of the menu system you can imagine. Prefer the Windows XP look? No problem. Is Windows 7 your idea of the perfect Windows experience? No problem there either.
Classic Shell is an open-source project originally developed back in the Windows Vista days. Thankfully, it's been updated for the Windows 8 platform, and thanks to Microsoft's design decisions, it's more useful than ever! Grab yourself a copy today at http://www.classicshell.net.
Figure 1. The configuration options offer more features than Microsoft ever offered in its Start menu (screenshot from http://www.classicshell.net).
|Geek Hide-away in Guatemala - Stay for Free!||Nov 26, 2015|
|Microsoft and Linux: True Romance or Toxic Love?||Nov 25, 2015|
|Non-Linux FOSS: Install Windows? Yeah, Open Source Can Do That.||Nov 24, 2015|
|Cipher Security: How to harden TLS and SSH||Nov 23, 2015|
|Web Stores Held Hostage||Nov 19, 2015|
|diff -u: What's New in Kernel Development||Nov 17, 2015|
- Cipher Security: How to harden TLS and SSH
- Microsoft and Linux: True Romance or Toxic Love?
- Geek Hide-away in Guatemala - Stay for Free!
- Non-Linux FOSS: Install Windows? Yeah, Open Source Can Do That.
- Web Stores Held Hostage
- It's a Bird. It's Another Bird!
- Firefox's New Feature for Tighter Security
- PuppetLabs Introduces Application Orchestration
- IBM LinuxONE Provides New Options for Linux Deployment
- How Will the Big Data Craze Play Out?