List Open Files
If you try to unmount a partition and get a message like this:
# umount /media/usbdisk/ umount: /media/usbdisk: device is busy
use the lsof command to find out what programs are using what files:
# lsof /media/usbdisk/ COMMAND PID USER FD TYPE DEVICE SIZE NODE NAME bash 6925 root cwd DIR 8,17 4096 1 /media/usbdisk/ xmms 6979 root cwd DIR 8,17 4096 1 /media/usbdisk/
This shows that the programs bash and xmms are using the device. For an even clearer picture, use the device name rather than the mountpoint:
# lsof /dev/sdb1 COMMAND PID USER FD TYPE DEVICE SIZE NODE NAME bash 6925 root cwd DIR 8,17 4096 1 /media/usbdisk xmms 6979 root cwd DIR 8,17 4096 1 /media/usbdisk xmms 6979 root 8r REG 8,17 2713101 377 /media/usbdisk/a.mp3
You either can wait until those processes exit or terminate them manually.
Webinar: 8 Signs You’re Beyond Cron
On Demand NOW
Join Linux Journal and Pat Cameron, Director of Automation Technology at HelpSystems, as they discuss the eight primary advantages of moving beyond cron job scheduling. In this webinar, you’ll learn about integrating cron with an enterprise scheduler.View Now!
|Dr Hjkl on the Command Line||May 21, 2015|
|Initializing and Managing Services in Linux: Past, Present and Future||May 20, 2015|
|Goodbye, Pi. Hello, C.H.I.P.||May 18, 2015|
|Enter to Win Archive DVD + Free Backup Solution||May 18, 2015|
|Using Hiera with Puppet||May 14, 2015|
|Urgent Kernel Patch for Ubuntu||May 12, 2015|
- Initializing and Managing Services in Linux: Past, Present and Future
- Dr Hjkl on the Command Line
- Goodbye, Pi. Hello, C.H.I.P.
- Using Hiera with Puppet
- Gartner Dubs DivvyCloud Cool Cloud Management Vendor
- Mumblehard--Let's End Its Five-Year Reign
- Enter to Win Archive DVD + Free Backup Solution
- Infinite BusyBox with systemd
- It's Easier to Ask Forgiveness...
- A More Stable Future for Ubuntu