Job: Senior Systems Administrator at Six Apart
I just got this job listing in my inbox and thought I'd share it with readers in case anyone was interested.
Company: Six Apart
Job Title: Senior Systems Administrator
Description: Terms: Salaried Employee with full benefits
Hours: Full Time
Location: San Francisco, CA
Six Apart, the creator of award-winning blogging software and services Movable Type, TypePad and Vox, is looking for an experienced Senior Systems Administrator. As a member of the Operations Engineering team, the Senior Systems Administrator will be a crucial member of a superstar Operations team supporting high-traffic, complex websites powering the blogosphere.
* Significant contributor in the management of several large, complex websites
* Design and implement systems infrastructure for new services
* Automation of frequently performed tasks
* Provide technical leadership and mentoring within operations team
* Establishes and recommends policies on architecture and systems based on best practices
* Works under the general supervision of senior management
* Second level on-call in shared rotation for site reliability issues; works with appropriate engineering resources to see full resolution of production impacting issues
* Strong interpersonal and communication skills; capable of training users in applications and operating system fundamentals, acting as a vendor liaison, making presentations to peers, working with upper management and writing extensive documentation.
* Extensive programming background in any applicable language
* Ability to solve problems quickly and automate processes
* A solid understanding of an operating system, preferably Linux with bonus points for Redhat based distributions
* A solid understanding of networking/distributed computing concepts
* Understanding of Cfengine, Puppet or similar configuration management utilities
* More than five years of Linux system administration experience
* A degree in computer science or a related field
* Publications within the field of systems administration
* Familiarity with Six Apart infrastructure tools MogileFS, Perlbal, Memcached or related technologies
Please send your resume to jchai at sixapart dot com with subject line: "Position: Senior Systems Administrator."
Carlie Fairchild is the publisher of Linux Journal.
Fast/Flexible Linux OS Recovery
On Demand Now
In this live one-hour webinar, learn how to enhance your existing backup strategies for complete disaster recovery preparedness using Storix System Backup Administrator (SBAdmin), a highly flexible full-system recovery solution for UNIX and Linux systems.
Join Linux Journal's Shawn Powers and David Huffman, President/CEO, Storix, Inc.
Free to Linux Journal readers.Register Now!
- Devuan Beta Release
- May 2016 Issue of Linux Journal
- EnterpriseDB's EDB Postgres Advanced Server and EDB Postgres Enterprise Manager
- The US Government and Open-Source Software
- The Humble Hacker?
- The Death of RoboVM
- BitTorrent Inc.'s Sync
- Open-Source Project Secretly Funded by CIA
- New Container Image Standard Promises More Portable Apps
- AdaCore's SPARK Pro
In modern computer systems, privacy and security are mandatory. However, connections from the outside over public networks automatically imply risks. One easily available solution to avoid eavesdroppers’ attempts is SSH. But, its wide adoption during the past 21 years has made it a target for attackers, so hardening your system properly is a must.
Additionally, in highly regulated markets, you must comply with specific operational requirements, proving that you conform to standards and even that you have included new mandatory authentication methods, such as two-factor authentication. In this ebook, I discuss SSH and how to configure and manage it to guarantee that your network is safe, your data is secure and that you comply with relevant regulations.Get the Guide