It's Not About the Distro
This summer, I'm changing our entire 250+ workstation infrastructure from Fedora to Edubuntu. Under the hood, our computers will be very, very different. Not a single one of my users, however, will notice.
Last year, I kept Fedora, but switched the desktop manager from IceWM to XFCE. There was mass chaos, and many of my users were so confused, they couldn't believe they were using the same computers.
For a non-techie person, a computer is only what you see when you log in. While diversity and options are well and good, it does make our job as "Technology Evangelists" more difficult. Think about the number of different window managers in common use. With Windows, you get (1) choice. With OSX, you get (1) choice. One of the wonderful things about Linux is the number of choices you get, but it is truly a double edged sword. How many drastically different desktops can you name off the top of your head? Things like (I'll miss a ton, I know):
I have no intention of starting a Gnome/KDE/other war, but sometimes I wish all the desktop managers for Linux weren't so good! There is no obvious winner, and some are better than others in given situations. Again, that's a strength of Linux. It's just too darn good!
If world domination is truly the desire of the Linux community, our vast number of options will slow us down. I'm not suggesting we standardize, or have a Desktop Deathmatch (fun though that may be) -- but it's silly to pretend we don't struggle a bit because of our diversity.
Superiority is such a burden.
- Readers' Choice Awards 2013
- Advanced Hard Drive Caching Techniques
- Linux Kernel News - November 2013
- December 2013 Issue of Linux Journal: Readers' Choice
- Mars Needs Women
- Sublime Text: One Editor to Rule Them All?
- Raspberry Pi: the Perfect Home Server
- RSS Feeds
- Web Administration Scripts
- Linux Systems Administrator
- animal pajamas
1 hour 25 min ago
- thanks for you post.
1 hour 32 min ago
- thanks for share, great
18 hours 46 min ago
- There are factors which are
23 hours 46 min ago
- Gnome 3 ?
1 day 31 min ago
- Reply to comment | Linux Journal
1 day 4 hours ago
- "Redis RethinkDB 4.5%" on Best NoSQL Databases
1 day 14 hours ago
- on the ground
1 day 21 hours ago
- I was able to read the whole
1 day 22 hours ago
- since i have read the title i
2 days 1 hour ago