It's Getting Steamy in Here!
After months of me promising Steam would be coming to Linux, it's finally here. The early verdict: it's pretty great! The installer is a simple pre-packaged .deb file for Ubuntu (or Xubuntu in my case), and the user portion of the install looks very much like Windows or Macintosh. In my limited testing, I've found the Steam beta to be at least as stable as Desura. I also was impressed with the large number of my Steam games that have Linux versions ready to download and play.
If you were under the impression that Steam was going to be the next Duke Nukem Forever, I'm happy to say that you (and I) were wrong. Steam has finally come to Linux, which has the potential to change the way Linux users play games. It also means fewer reboots into Windows just to shoot a few zombies! Check it out at www.steamforlinux.com.
Practical books for the most technical people on the planet. Newly available books include:
- Agile Product Development by Ted Schmidt
- Improve Business Processes with an Enterprise Job Scheduler by Mike Diehl
- Finding Your Way: Mapping Your Network to Improve Manageability by Bill Childers
- DIY Commerce Site by Reven Lerner
Plus many more.
- Download "Linux Management with Red Hat Satellite: Measuring Business Impact and ROI"
- Unikernels, Docker, and Why You Should Care
- Happy GPL Birthday VLC!
- Handheld Emulation: Achievement Unlocked!
- Giving Silos Their Due
- Controversy at the Linux Foundation
- Don't Burn Your Android Yet
- Non-Linux FOSS: Snk
- Wine 1.8 Released