It's All Like... What?
Google phrase searches can produce results that seem like random answers to a Rorschach test—only more amusing. Here are the top results (on a day in July 2008) for “The Internet is like...”:
“a vast uncataloged library”
“a series of tubes”
“alcohol in some sense”
“going down the Chinese road”
Closer to home, “Linux is like...”:
“switching from a car to a motorcycle”
“ice cream—too many flavors to choose”
“a fixed-wheel bicycle”
“turning on your first computer and figuring out what all those weird boxes did”
“a common cold”
“a whole new species”
“Ubuntu, only different”
Our hat tip for this observation goes to reader Mike Warot.
Doc Searls is Senior Editor of Linux Journal
Practical books for the most technical people on the planet. Newly available books include:
- Agile Product Development by Ted Schmidt
- Improve Business Processes with an Enterprise Job Scheduler by Mike Diehl
- Finding Your Way: Mapping Your Network to Improve Manageability by Bill Childers
- DIY Commerce Site by Reven Lerner
Plus many more.
- Download "Linux Management with Red Hat Satellite: Measuring Business Impact and ROI"
- Happy GPL Birthday VLC!
- Unikernels, Docker, and Why You Should Care
- Handheld Emulation: Achievement Unlocked!
- Controversy at the Linux Foundation
- Giving Silos Their Due
- Don't Burn Your Android Yet
- Firefox OS
- Wine 1.8 Released