The Fedora Project is reporting version 13 (code name "Goddard") of the Fedora Linux distribution is scheduled for release on May 18th of this year. Featuring Gnome 2.30, KDE 4.4, and RPM 4.8, Release 13 will also use NFS v4 by default, and include support for mounting NFS servers over IPv6. A feature list is available at fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/13/FeatureList, and Beta media is available for download at fedoraproject.org/get-prerelease. As always, Fedora is a great way to preview technologies that may make it into a future release of Red Hat Enterprise Linux. I have personally installed and used Fedora on my laptop and have found it suitable for work related activities. However, I've done this knowing I am capable of supporting this setup myself, since there are many sources of information and support online from the Fedora Community. If I were installing a production system at work, I would most probably use a distribution that my customer could get commercial support for, either from a vendor like Red Hat, or some other consulting firm specializing in long term support.
If you have already tried Fedora 13 Beta, please consider leaving a comment and telling us what you think of the new release!
Pete Vargas Mas is an avid indoorsman and a Linux Consultant in the Washington DC Metro area. Pete is a RHCE and a MCITP, which so far has not caused any eddies in the space-time continuum. He spends most of his time these days herding 529 Linux servers.
- Readers' Choice Awards 2013
- Linux Kernel News - November 2013
- December 2013 Issue of Linux Journal: Readers' Choice
- Mars Needs Women
- RSS Feeds
- Sublime Text: One Editor to Rule Them All?
- Raspberry Pi: the Perfect Home Server
- Advanced Hard Drive Caching Techniques
- Web Administration Scripts
- IBM Will Minimize Impact of Future Disasters
- thanks for share, great
6 hours 43 min ago
- There are factors which are
11 hours 43 min ago
- Gnome 3 ?
12 hours 28 min ago
- Reply to comment | Linux Journal
16 hours 35 min ago
- "Redis RethinkDB 4.5%" on Best NoSQL Databases
1 day 2 hours ago
- on the ground
1 day 9 hours ago
- I was able to read the whole
1 day 10 hours ago
- since i have read the title i
1 day 13 hours ago
- Belanja Online Cari Voucher Diskon
1 day 13 hours ago
- The kernel doesn't really
2 days 2 hours ago