DIY RC FIY
I've always had a thing for remote control (RC) aircraft. The kid and I have several half-broken ones to prove it. So now I'm thinking about taking it to the next level. Literally. With a DIY Drone -- a kind of aerial robot. You fly it yourself (FIY), but with your feet on the ground and a controller in your hands.
While the kid's interest is in piloting one, mine is in using it to shoot pictures. I've done some of that already, using far heavier aircraft.
There's a Linux angle too. Microcontrol platforms like the Ardrino are open source in both hardware and software.
So I'm measuring interest here. Anybody else around here into this stuff? Is it something we should pursue here at Linux Journal?
Doc Searls is Senior Editor of Linux Journal
- How to Deliver Hybrid Apps in 2 Weeks [Webcast]
- One Port to Rule Them All!
- Secure Server Deployments in Hostile Territory
- Django Templates
- PHP for Non-Developers
- Linux Kernel 4.1 Released
- Privacy Is Personal
- July 2015 Issue of Linux Journal: Mobile
- The AtoMiC Toolkit!
- Practical Books for the Most Technical People on the Planet