The Community Comes Through
As I wrote back on November 27, there is nothing more frustrating than trying to make software beyond its end-of-life work, and it is even more frustrating when it is really the best tool for the job. One helpful comment mentioned Ubuntu 8.04 as one possible source and the distro does include the code. A little more looking and some email traffic and it looks like the project has indeed been moved to the Ubuntu platform and is in some form of maintenance, enough that I will probably be able to accomplish my goals that way.
It means that I will have to learn a new distribution. As I might have mentioned, I came up the RedHat branch of the Linux family tree and having been forced to learn DEC VAX, NetWare, CiscoIOS, Windows, HP-UX and Solaris (from 2 through 10) throughout my career, I have tried to avoid learning yet another operating system, but it looks like I will have to hunker down and do just that. With luck I will be able to create not one but two articles from this little exercise, along with a functioning station/gateway for a variety of packet systems here in the Washington DC metro area.
So my thanks to a great number of people for all their help and comments!
|NTPsec: a Secure, Hardened NTP Implementation||Mar 30, 2017|
|SUSE Linux Enterprise High Availability Extension||Mar 29, 2017|
|Hybrid Cloud Storage Delivers Performance and Value||Mar 29, 2017|
|smbclient Security for Windows Printing and File Transfer||Mar 28, 2017|
|How to Calculate Flash Storage TCO||Mar 27, 2017|
|Non-Linux FOSS: Don't Drink the Apple Kool-Aid; Brew Your Own!||Mar 27, 2017|
- NTPsec: a Secure, Hardened NTP Implementation
- smbclient Security for Windows Printing and File Transfer
- Hybrid Cloud Storage Delivers Performance and Value
- SUSE Linux Enterprise High Availability Extension
- Returning Values from Bash Functions
- Non-Linux FOSS: Don't Drink the Apple Kool-Aid; Brew Your Own!
- William Rothwell and Nick Garner's Certified Ethical Hacker Complete Video Course (Pearson IT Certification)
- HOSTING Monitoring Insights
- Three EU Industries That Need HPC Now
- Hodge Podge