All-in-one Linux-based network servers aren't a new concept. Distributions like Clark Connect have been around for many years and fit their niche quite well. Lately, however, there seems to be a new batch of all-in-one solutions that offer a similar business model.
A couple months ago, we reviewed Untangle, which is a commercial distribution offering a feature-limited free version. Recently, one of our readers, Tracy Holz, pointed me to a similar project, ClearOS. Although Untangle is largely a firewall and network services system, ClearOS attempts to do more. Using a combination of open-source and commercial tools, it can be a one-stop server platform for many networks.
ClearOS has a unique modular system that seamlessly includes local server applications and cloud-based services to end users. You can purchase appliance devices or install ClearOS on an existing server. Much like Untangle, ClearOS's free features are limited, but it doesn't feel crippled if you stick to just the free stuff.
The features and add-ons are too numerous to list here, but if you're looking for a commercially backed all-in-one server solution for your network, check out ClearOS. Tell 'em Tracy sent you.
Win an iPhone 6
Enter to Win
|Geek Hide-away in Guatemala - Stay for Free!||Nov 26, 2015|
|Microsoft and Linux: True Romance or Toxic Love?||Nov 25, 2015|
|Non-Linux FOSS: Install Windows? Yeah, Open Source Can Do That.||Nov 24, 2015|
|Cipher Security: How to harden TLS and SSH||Nov 23, 2015|
|Web Stores Held Hostage||Nov 19, 2015|
|diff -u: What's New in Kernel Development||Nov 17, 2015|
- Microsoft and Linux: True Romance or Toxic Love?
- Cipher Security: How to harden TLS and SSH
- Non-Linux FOSS: Install Windows? Yeah, Open Source Can Do That.
- Web Stores Held Hostage
- Firefox's New Feature for Tighter Security
- Geek Hide-away in Guatemala - Stay for Free!
- It's a Bird. It's Another Bird!
- PuppetLabs Introduces Application Orchestration
- diff -u: What's New in Kernel Development
- IBM LinuxONE Provides New Options for Linux Deployment