BusyBox Drag Two More to Court – When Will These Companies Learn?
The Software Freedom Law Center — which at this point is quickly becoming the law firm of BusyBox, BusyBox, and GPL — is on the case again, having filed two more GPL-violation lawsuits on behalf of the developers of BusyBox, this time against Bell Microproducts and SuperMicro Computer.
The latest suits — which bring nothing new to the pattern that has emerged over the past year — allege that each of the defendants violated the GPL by failing to provide the source code for BusyBox with Linux-based devices that include the software. As usual, the SFLC contacted each company to advise of the breach and offer an opportunity to remedy the issue without legal action, and as usual, they were completely ignored. Now, the countdown begins until both companies eventually settle with the SFLC, providing the source code, appointing an Open Source compliance officer, and paying out undisclosed amounts they could have saved by simply popping "BusyBox lawsuit" into Google and seeing that everyone from the mini to the monster — like multi-billion dollar communications giant Verizon — has been forced into settlement at the crack of the Center's whip.
Justin Ryan is a Contributing Editor for Linux Journal.
- Readers' Choice Awards 2013
- Mars Needs Women
- RSS Feeds
- Sublime Text: One Editor to Rule Them All?
- 2005 Linux Journal Readers' Choice Awards
- Senior Perl Developer
- Linux Systems Administrator
- A High-Availability Cluster for Linux
- Ajax Timelines and the Semantic Web
- Tech Tip: Really Simple HTTP Server with Python
- why is GNOME 3 in the fifth position at 14.1 %?
56 sec ago
- Sublime Is Brilliant!
5 hours 3 min ago
5 hours 23 min ago
- Rapid[Disk,Cache] better than native ram caching?
5 hours 48 min ago
- Nothing is perfect
6 hours 1 min ago
- Mixtapes Community
11 hours 40 min ago
- KDE is one true DE
12 hours 14 min ago
- Command Line Shells (Bash, Zsh, etc.) are 2nd place
12 hours 43 min ago
14 hours 38 min ago
- yes it's Jupiter Broadcasting
15 hours 57 min ago