Android Candy: Digital Funnies
One thing I truly miss about the "old-school" way of reading the newspaper is that I don't get to read the funny pages. No, that's not all I would read (although admittedly it may have been the first page I turned to), but a little levity always makes the day better. I'm not a big fan of graphic novels or even comic books, but the daily funny pages are just my speed.
Whether you love them or hate them, the GoComics Web site is full of new and old comics alike. The GoComics app for Android is a free way to consume those daily comic strips whether they're new or decades old. My personal favorite comic of all times is Garfield (shown in the screenshot). I collect Garfield memorabilia, Garfield books, and as a kid, I even had Garfield sheets and curtains in my room. Anyway, thanks to the GoComics app, I'm able to read decades of Garfield comics at my leisure, and see the latest strips as well.
If it weren't for GoComics, I'd have to wait to buy the books every year for my daily dose of fuzzy fun. Get the free version in the Google Play Store, or pay an annual fee of about a buck a month to get the ad-free version. Either way, it's a wonderful way to spend a few minutes every day (or an entire afternoon binge session).
- VMware's Clarity Design System
- Let's Go to Mars with Martian Lander
- Applied Expert Systems, Inc.'s CleverView for TCP/IP on Linux
- My Childhood in a Cigar Box
- Papa's Got a Brand New NAS
- Rogue Wave Software's TotalView for HPC and CodeDynamics
- Panther MPC, Inc.'s Panther Alpha
- Jetico's BestCrypt Container Encryption for Linux
- Simplenote, Simply Awesome!
- GENIVI Alliance's GENIVI Vehicle Simulator