Add users to groups with ldap
I need to add an existing user to an existing group with my new ldap setup, which is running on a Debian lenny server. Here's what I've got for an ldif file:
and here is my command and output:
robert:~# ldapmodify -x -D cn=admin,dc=newcrossroads,dc=net -W -f /var/tmp/adduser.ldif
Enter LDAP Password:
modifying entry "cn=johnstones,ou=Groups,dc=newcrossroads,dc=net"
ldap_modify: Object class violation (65)
additional info: attribute 'uniqueMember' not allowed
I've also attempted to do the job with ldapscipts with the following results:
robert:~# ldapaddusertogroup jess johnstones
Group johnstones not found (or jess already member of johnstones)
That last in particular confuses me; the group exists and every attempt I've made to add the user has failed. So two questions:
How do I write a proper ldif file to add a user to a group?
How do I view group membership?
Please bear in mind that I really don't know what I'm doing. I got ldap running more through good luck than good practices. Unfortunately the online guides I've found assume that you do know what you're doing, and I've been fighting with this for three days. Can anyone help?
- Great Scott! It's Version 13!
- Numerical Python
- Divx# Watch The Other Woman Full HD Online Streaming Viooz
- NSA: Linux Journal is an "extremist forum" and its readers get flagged for extra surveillance
- Tech Tip: Really Simple HTTP Server with Python
- Adminer—Better Than Awesome!
- RSS Feeds
- It Actually Is Rocket Science
- Linux Systems Administrator
- Senior Perl Developer