Add users to groups with ldap
I need to add an existing user to an existing group with my new ldap setup, which is running on a Debian lenny server. Here's what I've got for an ldif file:
and here is my command and output:
robert:~# ldapmodify -x -D cn=admin,dc=newcrossroads,dc=net -W -f /var/tmp/adduser.ldif
Enter LDAP Password:
modifying entry "cn=johnstones,ou=Groups,dc=newcrossroads,dc=net"
ldap_modify: Object class violation (65)
additional info: attribute 'uniqueMember' not allowed
I've also attempted to do the job with ldapscipts with the following results:
robert:~# ldapaddusertogroup jess johnstones
Group johnstones not found (or jess already member of johnstones)
That last in particular confuses me; the group exists and every attempt I've made to add the user has failed. So two questions:
How do I write a proper ldif file to add a user to a group?
How do I view group membership?
Please bear in mind that I really don't know what I'm doing. I got ldap running more through good luck than good practices. Unfortunately the online guides I've found assume that you do know what you're doing, and I've been fighting with this for three days. Can anyone help?
- Stepping into Science
- Linux Journal December 2016
- CORSAIR's Carbide Air 740
- Synacor, Inc.'s Zimbra Open Source Support and Zimbra Suite Plus
- A Better Raspberry Pi Streaming Solution
- The Tiny Internet Project, Part II
- Tyson Foods Honored as SUSE Customer of the Year
- Radio Free Linux
- FutureVault Inc.'s FutureVault
- Tech Tip: Really Simple HTTP Server with Python