2.6.13 char driver not working on 2.6.22
Hello kernel gurus.
I have a char driver module that has been working fine under 2.6.13. It is a PCI card for a Heidenhaim rotational encoder. I am now moving to 2.6.22 and it no longer works. In order to get it to build I changed exactly one line:
I changed this:
rc = pci_module_init(&ik220_driver);
rc = pci_register_driver(&ik220_driver);
Under 2.6.22 it loads fine but as soon as my app opens /dev/ik200 the kernel crashes without a trace. I added lots of printk statements to see what is going on. The printk statements for pci_driver .probe and .remove show up as expected. But as soon as my application does an open the kernel crashes immediately -- I do not even see the file_operations .open() fops entry getting called.
Any clues would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
Elwood, Tucson AZ
Webinar: 8 Signs You’re Beyond Cron
On Demand NOW
Join Linux Journal and Pat Cameron, Director of Automation Technology at HelpSystems, as they discuss the eight primary advantages of moving beyond cron job scheduling. In this webinar, you’ll learn about integrating cron with an enterprise scheduler.View Now!
- When Official Debian Support Ends, Who Will Save You?
- Ubuntu Ditches Upstart
- May 2015 Issue of Linux Journal: Cool Projects
- Video On Demand: 8 Signs You're Beyond Cron
- Picking Out the Nouns
- "No Reboot" Kernel Patching - And Why You Should Care
- DevOps: Better Than the Sum of Its Parts
- Return of the Mac
- Drupageddon: SQL Injection, Database Abstraction and Hundreds of Thousands of Web Sites