2.6.13 char driver not working on 2.6.22
Hello kernel gurus.
I have a char driver module that has been working fine under 2.6.13. It is a PCI card for a Heidenhaim rotational encoder. I am now moving to 2.6.22 and it no longer works. In order to get it to build I changed exactly one line:
I changed this:
rc = pci_module_init(&ik220_driver);
rc = pci_register_driver(&ik220_driver);
Under 2.6.22 it loads fine but as soon as my app opens /dev/ik200 the kernel crashes without a trace. I added lots of printk statements to see what is going on. The printk statements for pci_driver .probe and .remove show up as expected. But as soon as my application does an open the kernel crashes immediately -- I do not even see the file_operations .open() fops entry getting called.
Any clues would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
Elwood, Tucson AZ
- October 2014 Issue of Linux Journal: Embedded
- Give new life to old phones and tablets with these tips!
- Encrypt Your Dog (Mutt and GPG)
- Practical Tiny Core in the Fire Service
- DevOps for Dummies
- Tech Tip: Really Simple HTTP Server with Python
- Cooking with Linux - Serious Cool, Sysadmin Style!
- Returning Values from Bash Functions
- New Products
- RSS Feeds
Free DevOps eBooks, Videos, and more!
Regardless of where you are in your DevOps process, Linux Journal can help!
We offer here the DEFINITIVE DevOps for Dummies, a mobile Application Development Primer, and advice & help from the expert sources like:
- Linux Journal