2.6.13 char driver not working on 2.6.22
Hello kernel gurus.
I have a char driver module that has been working fine under 2.6.13. It is a PCI card for a Heidenhaim rotational encoder. I am now moving to 2.6.22 and it no longer works. In order to get it to build I changed exactly one line:
I changed this:
rc = pci_module_init(&ik220_driver);
rc = pci_register_driver(&ik220_driver);
Under 2.6.22 it loads fine but as soon as my app opens /dev/ik200 the kernel crashes without a trace. I added lots of printk statements to see what is going on. The printk statements for pci_driver .probe and .remove show up as expected. But as soon as my application does an open the kernel crashes immediately -- I do not even see the file_operations .open() fops entry getting called.
Any clues would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
Elwood, Tucson AZ
Practical books for the most technical people on the planet. Newly available books include:
- Agile Product Development by Ted Schmidt
- Improve Business Processes with an Enterprise Job Scheduler by Mike Diehl
- Finding Your Way: Mapping Your Network to Improve Manageability by Bill Childers
- DIY Commerce Site by Reven Lerner
Plus many more.
- Download "Linux Management with Red Hat Satellite: Measuring Business Impact and ROI"
- Unikernels, Docker, and Why You Should Care
- Happy GPL Birthday VLC!
- Handheld Emulation: Achievement Unlocked!
- Giving Silos Their Due
- Controversy at the Linux Foundation
- Don't Burn Your Android Yet
- Wine 1.8 Released
- Firefox OS