Stream Control Transmission Protocol (SCTP) Associations
This article has discussed a feature novel to SCTP, streams. A stream allows multiple data channels on a single association. This avoids a major problem of TCP, head-of-line blocking, but it also allows applications that deal with multiple logical streams to be written more easily. The next and final article will look at how SCTP can handle multiple associations at once, simplifying the TCP model and also offering improvements over the UDP connection model.
Jan Newmarch is Honorary Senior Research Fellow at Monash University. He has been using Linux since kernel 0.98. He has written four books and many papers and given courses on many technical topics, concentrating on network programming for the last six years. His Web site is jan.newmarch.name.
Free DevOps eBooks, Videos, and more!
Regardless of where you are in your DevOps process, Linux Journal can help!
We offer here the DEFINITIVE DevOps for Dummies, a mobile Application Development Primer, and advice & help from the expert sources like:
- Linux Journal
- Users, Permissions and Multitenant Sites
- New Products
- Flexible Access Control with Squid Proxy
- Security in Three Ds: Detect, Decide and Deny
- High-Availability Storage with HA-LVM
- Tighten Up SSH
- DevOps: Everything You Need to Know
- Solving ODEs on Linux
- Non-Linux FOSS: MenuMeters
- March 2015 Issue of Linux Journal: System Administration