Open-Source Databases, Part II: PostgreSQL
Don't think of PostgreSQL as a powerful open-source database. Rather, think of it as a powerful database that happens to be released under an open-source license. It has a wealth of features that make it scalable for large systems and needs, but it is easily approachable by novices who want to begin their journey into the world of relational databases.
The main Web site for PostgreSQL is www.postgresql.org. This site contains links to software, documentation, FAQs and a host of mailing lists.
My favorite book about PostgreSQL is simply called PostgreSQL, 2nd ed., written by Korry Douglas, and published by Sams (ISBN 0672327562).
The PostgreSQL community mailing lists are also invaluable sources of help and information. It's not unusual for one of the core developers to answer a question that someone has posed or admit that there is a bug that needs fixing.
Reuven M. Lerner, a longtime Web/database consultant, is a PhD candidate in Learning Sciences at Northwestern University in Evanston, Illinois. He currently lives with his wife and three children in Skokie, Illinois. You can read his Weblog at altneuland.lerner.co.il.
Win an iPhone 6
Enter to Win
|Take Control of Your PC with UEFI Secure Boot||Nov 30, 2015|
|Geek Hide-away in Guatemala - Stay for Free!||Nov 26, 2015|
|Microsoft and Linux: True Romance or Toxic Love?||Nov 25, 2015|
|Non-Linux FOSS: Install Windows? Yeah, Open Source Can Do That.||Nov 24, 2015|
|Cipher Security: How to harden TLS and SSH||Nov 23, 2015|
|Web Stores Held Hostage||Nov 19, 2015|
- Take Control of Your PC with UEFI Secure Boot
- Cipher Security: How to harden TLS and SSH
- Microsoft and Linux: True Romance or Toxic Love?
- Non-Linux FOSS: Install Windows? Yeah, Open Source Can Do That.
- Web Stores Held Hostage
- Firefox's New Feature for Tighter Security
- Geek Hide-away in Guatemala - Stay for Free!
- PuppetLabs Introduces Application Orchestration
- diff -u: What's New in Kernel Development
- IBM LinuxONE Provides New Options for Linux Deployment