Paranoid Penguin - Linux Firewalls for Everyone
A couple years ago, Linux Journal named iptables its Security Tool of the year. It really is a remarkable achievement. If you're serious about network security, you'll want to explore iptables' power in much greater detail than we've done in this article, starting with the iptables(8) man page and progressing through the how-tos available on the Netfilter home page (see Resources).
Whether you use iptables to protect your laptop or your entire enterprise network, I hope you've found this introduction useful. Be safe!
The Netfilter home page, where you can find the most current iptables-related how-tos: www.netfilter.org
Home page for Firewall Builder, an object-oriented GUI for generating and managing rules for several different types of firewalls, including iptables: www.fwbuilder.org
The Shorewall (Shoreline Firewall) home page: www.shorewall.net
Suehring, S., and Ziegler, R. Linux Firewalls, 3rd edition. Upper Saddle River, NJ: Novell Press, 2005.
Home page for Firestarter, an iptables GUI: www.fs-security.com
Home page for the Guarddog iptables GUI: www.simonzone.com/software/guarddog
Mick Bauer (firstname.lastname@example.org) is Network Security Architect for one of the US's largest banks. He is the author of the O'Reilly book Linux Server Security, 2nd edition (formerly called Building Secure Servers With Linux), an occasional presenter at information security conferences and composer of the “Network Engineering Polka”.
- Readers' Choice Awards 2013
- Advanced Hard Drive Caching Techniques
- Linux Kernel News - November 2013
- December 2013 Issue of Linux Journal: Readers' Choice
- Mars Needs Women
- Sublime Text: One Editor to Rule Them All?
- Raspberry Pi: the Perfect Home Server
- RSS Feeds
- Web Administration Scripts
- Linux Systems Administrator
- animal pajamas
1 hour 10 min ago
- thanks for you post.
1 hour 17 min ago
- thanks for share, great
18 hours 31 min ago
- There are factors which are
23 hours 30 min ago
- Gnome 3 ?
1 day 15 min ago
- Reply to comment | Linux Journal
1 day 4 hours ago
- "Redis RethinkDB 4.5%" on Best NoSQL Databases
1 day 14 hours ago
- on the ground
1 day 20 hours ago
- I was able to read the whole
1 day 22 hours ago
- since i have read the title i
2 days 1 hour ago