The Ultimate Linux Desktop
The box arrived with 32-bit Fedora Core 5 pre-installed. SLI was enabled, as verified in the X server logs. The collection of yum repositories recommended by FedoraFAQ.org were in place as well. Flash wasn't installed, but it was a minor annoyance because the repository was already set up. Other than that, everything worked like a charm under both an older 17" CRT monitor and a newer 24" wide-screen LCD.
To check out the performance under pressure, I tried both Unreal Tournament 2004 and Quake 4. Both of these games played smoothly with the absolute highest video resolutions and effects settings. In fact, Quake 4 was set to 16x anti-aliasing with anisotropic filtering and 1920x1200 resolution and still played perfectly smoothly.
They have the firewall on with SSH enabled by default, which is a sane option. SELinux is on as well, so users would have to go out of their way to unsecure the machine. I can't think of any real complaints here aside from Flash. The system worked out of the box with Linux in place. Mind you, the installation was 32-bit instead of 64-bit. I could only speculate as to why at this point, so I won't make wild guesses—and I'm sure if I had specifically asked them to install 64-bit, they would have done so.
Really, other than that it just worked, and worked well; you can't ask for more than that from the Ultimate Linux Desktop.
Dee-Ann LeBlanc (dee-ann.blog-city.com) is an award-winning technical writer and journalist specializing in Linux and miniature huskies.
- Readers' Choice Awards 2013
- IBM Will Minimize Impact of Future Disasters
- December 2013 Issue of Linux Journal: Readers' Choice
- Sublime Text: One Editor to Rule Them All?
- RSS Feeds
- New Products
- Raspberry Pi: the Perfect Home Server
- Linux Systems Administrator
- Tech Tip: Really Simple HTTP Server with Python
- Senior Perl Developer
- nice to see PClinuxOS finally
2 hours 31 min ago
- Personally, I am no longer a
3 hours 28 min ago
- Reply to comment | Linux Journal
16 hours 53 min ago
- It's Jupiter
17 hours 53 min ago
- GIMP is certainly a graphic
18 hours 55 min ago
- Thanks For Your Sharing
23 hours 40 min ago
- Studying linux, and looking
1 day 3 hours ago
- voting for Best Linux Distribution
1 day 11 hours ago
- tizen vs android
1 day 15 hours ago
- i switch my choice from KDE
1 day 16 hours ago