Work the Shell - End Game
There's also one outstanding bug in the code, and I invite you to dig around and figure it out. If the dealer is dealt an Ace in play, it's automatically counted as 11 points, not one or 11, as it should be. Your challenge: figure out where that problem arises and how to fix it. If you think you know, e-mail me your proposed solution (perhaps a diff of your version versus the version on the Linux Journal FTP site), and we'll see how you did.
Next month, we'll crack open a completely different shell script task and see what we can do to help your day-to-day Linux administrative tasks, because we've probably wasted plenty enough ink on a casino game for this year! See ya then.
Dave Taylor is a 26-year veteran of UNIX, creator of The Elm Mail System, and most recently author of both the best-selling Wicked Cool Shell Scripts and Teach Yourself Unix in 24 Hours, among his 16 technical books. His main Web site is at www.intuitive.com.
Dave Taylor has been hacking shell scripts for over thirty years. Really. He's the author of the popular "Wicked Cool Shell Scripts" and can be found on Twitter as @DaveTaylor and more generally at www.DaveTaylorOnline.com.
- My Childhood in a Cigar Box
- Let's Go to Mars with Martian Lander
- Applied Expert Systems, Inc.'s CleverView for TCP/IP on Linux
- VMware's Clarity Design System
- Papa's Got a Brand New NAS
- Rogue Wave Software's TotalView for HPC and CodeDynamics
- Panther MPC, Inc.'s Panther Alpha
- Jetico's BestCrypt Container Encryption for Linux
- GENIVI Alliance's GENIVI Vehicle Simulator