Installing and Customizing MediaWiki
Wikipedia has generated a number of headlines over the last few months, and its future as a reliable, neutral, volunteer effort remains to be determined. But Wikipedia has demonstrated the power that a wiki can bring to an organization looking to collect information from a wide variety of participants. If your organization would benefit from a centralized repository created in a decentralized manner, a wiki might just fit the bill.
And, although MediaWiki is far from the only available package, it is highly polished, reliable and easy for both administrators and users. Producing new dynamic pages, known as special pages in the MediaWiki world, requires a fair amount of knowledge of the underlying system. But, getting started is not that difficult, and it is possible (and desirable) to take advantage of the tremendous infrastructure that MediaWiki brings to the table.
Reuven M. Lerner, a longtime Web/database consultant, is currently a PhD student in Learning Sciences at Northwestern University in Evanston, Illinois. He and his wife recently celebrated the birth of their son Amotz David.
- Readers' Choice Awards 2013
- Linux Kernel News - November 2013
- December 2013 Issue of Linux Journal: Readers' Choice
- Mars Needs Women
- RSS Feeds
- Sublime Text: One Editor to Rule Them All?
- Raspberry Pi: the Perfect Home Server
- Advanced Hard Drive Caching Techniques
- Web Administration Scripts
- IBM Will Minimize Impact of Future Disasters
- thanks for share, great
5 hours 27 min ago
- There are factors which are
10 hours 26 min ago
- Gnome 3 ?
11 hours 11 min ago
- Reply to comment | Linux Journal
15 hours 18 min ago
- "Redis RethinkDB 4.5%" on Best NoSQL Databases
1 day 1 hour ago
- on the ground
1 day 7 hours ago
- I was able to read the whole
1 day 9 hours ago
- since i have read the title i
1 day 12 hours ago
- Belanja Online Cari Voucher Diskon
1 day 12 hours ago
- The kernel doesn't really
2 days 51 min ago