Linux in the Real World
Some of the tools mentioned in this article may not have been included with your Linux distribution.
NIS: Documentation is available from sunsite.unc.edu/mdw/HOWTO/NIS-HOWTO.html and binaries are available via ftp from sunsite.unc.edu in /pub/Linux/system/Network/admin/yp-clients.tar.gz.
Orion: This firewall was available for purchase from Zebu Systems, http://www.zebu.com or (206)-781-9566 and is based on the Mazama Packet Filter software, www.mazama.com.
smap: smap is part of the Trusted Information System's Firewall Toolkit at ftp://ftp.tis.com/pub/firewalls/toolkit/.
ssh: ssh has a home page at www.cs.hut.fi/ssh/.
Samba: Samba has a home page at lake.canberra.edu.au/pub/samba/samba.html.
Apache: Apache has a home page at www.apache.org.
xv: xv is available with some Linux distributions, and is available via ftp from ftp.cis.upenn.edu in /pub/xv/.
LaTeX, groff, sendmail, tar, diff, and other utilities mentioned in this article should be included with your Linux distribution.
Kevin Pierce is a Marketing Assistant at SSC. He grew up in New Hampshire, went to school at Florida State University, and reserves most Saturday afternoons for college football.
- Reducing Boot Time in Embedded Linux Systems
- Download "Linux Management with Red Hat Satellite: Measuring Business Impact and ROI"
- Use Linux as a SAN Provider
- diff -u: What's New in Kernel Development
- NSA: Linux Journal is an "extremist forum" and its readers get flagged for extra surveillance
- Great Scott! It's Version 13!
- RSS Feeds
- Linux Systems Administrator
- Tech Tip: Really Simple HTTP Server with Python
- Senior Perl Developer