Linux in the Real World
Some of the tools mentioned in this article may not have been included with your Linux distribution.
NIS: Documentation is available from sunsite.unc.edu/mdw/HOWTO/NIS-HOWTO.html and binaries are available via ftp from sunsite.unc.edu in /pub/Linux/system/Network/admin/yp-clients.tar.gz.
Orion: This firewall was available for purchase from Zebu Systems, http://www.zebu.com or (206)-781-9566 and is based on the Mazama Packet Filter software, www.mazama.com.
smap: smap is part of the Trusted Information System's Firewall Toolkit at ftp://ftp.tis.com/pub/firewalls/toolkit/.
ssh: ssh has a home page at www.cs.hut.fi/ssh/.
Samba: Samba has a home page at lake.canberra.edu.au/pub/samba/samba.html.
Apache: Apache has a home page at www.apache.org.
xv: xv is available with some Linux distributions, and is available via ftp from ftp.cis.upenn.edu in /pub/xv/.
LaTeX, groff, sendmail, tar, diff, and other utilities mentioned in this article should be included with your Linux distribution.
Kevin Pierce is a Marketing Assistant at SSC. He grew up in New Hampshire, went to school at Florida State University, and reserves most Saturday afternoons for college football.
- Understanding OpenStack's Success
- Ensono M.O.
- Own Your DNS Data
- Teradici's Cloud Access Platform: "Plug & Play" Cloud for the Enterprise
- Simple Server Hardening
- Understanding Firewalld in Multi-Zone Configurations
- From vs. to + for Microsoft and Linux
- Bash Shell Script: Building a Better March Madness Bracket
- Returning Values from Bash Functions
- The Weather Outside Is Frightful (Or Is It?)