Linux in Government: VMware Workstation 5
If you have followed the progress of VMware since it started up, you may have thought of it as a way to use Windows applications on your Linux desktop. I know I did. That seemed like the founders' intentions. But, we cannot really know what vision or roadmap the company had.
VMware workstation ceases to have relevance in terms of a way to deploy Windows applications as Linux begins replacing those applications with native versions that run in GNOME, KDE and other desktop environments. The future for VMware lies in the server area, where it has given Linux a leg up in the data center. One can only wonder how much longer the workstation will continue to have a market.
Regardless, VMware has served an important place in the history and evolution of free Linux. Many people still love it and are glad it's around. Hopefully, the company y will innovate and make using Windows applications simpler for Linux users while they grow their server business.
Tom Adelstein is a Principal of Hiser + Adelstein, a consulting and operating company specializing in free and open-source software solutions and support. Tom is the co-author of the book Exploring the JDS Linux Desktop, author of an upcoming book on Linux system administration and has written prolifically since 1985. Tom's business career began in public accounting where he first learned to program and develop software and later progressed to Wall Street, where he became the designated principal of a NYSE firm. He later returned to technology and has consulted and worked with start-ups as well leaders of the Fortune 500.
Practical books for the most technical people on the planet. Newly available books include:
- Agile Product Development by Ted Schmidt
- Improve Business Processes with an Enterprise Job Scheduler by Mike Diehl
- Finding Your Way: Mapping Your Network to Improve Manageability by Bill Childers
- DIY Commerce Site by Reven Lerner
Plus many more.
- Download "Linux Management with Red Hat Satellite: Measuring Business Impact and ROI"
- Happy GPL Birthday VLC!
- Unikernels, Docker, and Why You Should Care
- Handheld Emulation: Achievement Unlocked!
- Controversy at the Linux Foundation
- Giving Silos Their Due
- Don't Burn Your Android Yet
- Firefox OS
- New Products