Heterogeneous Processing: a Strategy for Augmenting Moore's Law
Although many exciting avenues of exploration are underway today in the field of heterogeneous computing, we are not yet at the point where this model will take over as the dominant HPC system architecture. The barriers that remain (primarily, difficulties programming for and porting existing code to heterogeneous systems) are significant. However, Cray and others in the HPC community are already making strides in these areas.
As with any new technology, widespread adoption of heterogeneous systems will depend on an analysis of the gains that can be achieved versus the effort required to realize them. In the long term, we believe that the performance advantages offered by heterogeneous architectures for some applications will be too compelling to ignore.
Amar Shan is a senior product manager at global supercomputer leader Cray Inc. Shan joined Cray in 2004 when Cray acquired OctigaBay Systems Corporation and is responsible for setting product direction for Cray next-generation products and the Cray XD1 high-performance computing (HPC) system—the only Linux/Opteron system designed specifically for HPC applications. Shan holds a Master of Applied Science in Artificial Intelligence from the University of Waterloo and Bachelor of Applied Science in Electrical Engineering and Computer Science from the University of British Columbia.
|Dynamic DNS—an Object Lesson in Problem Solving||May 21, 2013|
|Using Salt Stack and Vagrant for Drupal Development||May 20, 2013|
|Making Linux and Android Get Along (It's Not as Hard as It Sounds)||May 16, 2013|
|Drupal Is a Framework: Why Everyone Needs to Understand This||May 15, 2013|
|Home, My Backup Data Center||May 13, 2013|
|Non-Linux FOSS: Seashore||May 10, 2013|
- RSS Feeds
- Making Linux and Android Get Along (It's Not as Hard as It Sounds)
- Using Salt Stack and Vagrant for Drupal Development
- Dynamic DNS—an Object Lesson in Problem Solving
- New Products
- Validate an E-Mail Address with PHP, the Right Way
- Drupal Is a Framework: Why Everyone Needs to Understand This
- A Topic for Discussion - Open Source Feature-Richness?
- Download the Free Red Hat White Paper "Using an Open Source Framework to Catch the Bad Guy"
- Tech Tip: Really Simple HTTP Server with Python
- Roll your own dynamic dns
3 hours 22 min ago
- Please correct the URL for Salt Stack's web site
6 hours 34 min ago
- Android is Linux -- why no better inter-operation
8 hours 49 min ago
- Connecting Android device to desktop Linux via USB
9 hours 17 min ago
- Find new cell phone and tablet pc
10 hours 16 min ago
11 hours 44 min ago
- Automatically updating Guest Additions
12 hours 53 min ago
- I like your topic on android
13 hours 39 min ago
- This is the easiest tutorial
20 hours 15 min ago
- Ahh, the Koolaid.
1 day 1 hour ago