Linux in Government: Optimizing Desktop Performance, Part III
The subject of loading Linux services and the initialization process demands experience and knowledge that many desktop users do not possess. If you venture into disabling services you deem unnecessary, I strongly suggest that you subscribe to a newsgroup or forum dedicated to your distribution--you probably will need support.
On the other hand, you might find that you have a knack for Linux operating system internals. If so, explore the subject on-line by searching for Linux documentation. Linux provides fascinating technology you could not learn about with proprietary systems. Many different points of view exist on just about every subject concerning Linux technology. If you have the desire to know more about what makes your computer tick, the opportunity awaits.
Tom Adelstein is a Principal of Hiser + Adelstein, an open-source company headquartered in New York City. He's the co-author of the book Exploring the JDS Linux Desktop and author of an upcoming book on Linux system administration to be published by O'Reilly. Tom has been consulting and writing articles and books about Linux since early 1999.
- Readers' Choice Awards 2013
- Linux Kernel News - November 2013
- December 2013 Issue of Linux Journal: Readers' Choice
- Mars Needs Women
- Sublime Text: One Editor to Rule Them All?
- Raspberry Pi: the Perfect Home Server
- RSS Feeds
- Advanced Hard Drive Caching Techniques
- Web Administration Scripts
- IBM Will Minimize Impact of Future Disasters
- thanks for share, great
13 hours 48 min ago
- There are factors which are
18 hours 48 min ago
- Gnome 3 ?
19 hours 33 min ago
- Reply to comment | Linux Journal
23 hours 40 min ago
- "Redis RethinkDB 4.5%" on Best NoSQL Databases
1 day 9 hours ago
- on the ground
1 day 16 hours ago
- I was able to read the whole
1 day 17 hours ago
- since i have read the title i
1 day 20 hours ago
- Belanja Online Cari Voucher Diskon
1 day 21 hours ago
- The kernel doesn't really
2 days 9 hours ago