OOo Off the Wall: Fielding Questions, Part 4 - Mail Merges
The basic Mail Merge tool is easy to use once you understand its pre-prerequisites. Once you are comfortable with it, you may feel no need to use the Mail Merge Wizard. In fact, you might want to follow the steps given in this article to remove the Wizard from the Tool menu.
However, you also might decide that the Wizard is more convenient. The Wizard's main advantage is that it centralizes the creation of form letters, setting up the placeholder fields for addresses and salutations and formatting the source document from a centralized window.
But no matter what interface you prefer, Writer's mail merge tool is worth knowing. It's especially useful in office settings, although job hunters and Christmas card writers might find it equally useful for home use. In the past, the fact that mail merges were documented poorly in the on-line help and differed from MS Word's arrangements seem to have prevented many people from using them in Writer. However, between improvements in the on-line help and the addition of the Wizard, Writer's mail merge now has a chance to become a part of users' everyday tool kit.
-- Bruce Byfield (nanday)
- Readers' Choice Awards 2013
- Linux Kernel News - November 2013
- Mars Needs Women
- Sublime Text: One Editor to Rule Them All?
- RSS Feeds
- Raspberry Pi: the Perfect Home Server
- Advanced Hard Drive Caching Techniques
- December 2013 Issue of Linux Journal: Readers' Choice
- Web Administration Scripts
- New Products
- on the ground
3 hours 26 min ago
- I was able to read the whole
4 hours 55 min ago
- since i have read the title i
8 hours 15 min ago
- Belanja Online Cari Voucher Diskon
8 hours 20 min ago
- The kernel doesn't really
20 hours 31 min ago
21 hours 2 min ago
21 hours 2 min ago
23 hours 7 min ago
- This should be very helpful
1 day 21 min ago
- As much as I share your point
1 day 2 hours ago