Linux in Government: DHS Secretary Ridge Gives the Go Ahead to Linux
On my initial visit to Jo Balderas' company in Ft. Worth, I spent a fascinating morning with her and her son, Mike. Afterwards, I felt like I had made a trip to visit friendly relatives. We sat and discussed the intricacies of Linux and the commitments that the community brings.
Jo Balderas' company, YHD Software Inc., incorporates the qualities of excellence in programming, innovation, security and reliability. YDH Software Inc. exemplifies the intent of our nation's efforts to help form small businesses in which innovation can flourish and jobs can be created. We should be glad to know that open-source and free software provides tools at low to no-cost that people can use to realize their dreams and aspirations. It's nice to know it can happen even in your home town.
Tom Adelstein lives in Dallas, Texas, with his wife, Yvonne, and works as a Linux and open-source software consultant locally and nationally. He's the co-author of the upcoming book Exploring the JDS Linux Desktop, published by O'Reilly and Associates. Tom has written numerous articles on Linux technical and marketing issues as a guest editor for a variety of publications. His latest venture has him working as the webmaster of JDSHelp.org.
- Ubuntu MATE, Not Just a Whim
- Download "Linux Management with Red Hat Satellite: Measuring Business Impact and ROI"
- Build Your Own Raspberry Pi Camera
- Nasdaq Selects Drupal 8
- Non-Linux FOSS: Screenshotting for Fun and Profit!
- Canonical Ltd.'s Ubuntu Core
- Secure Desktops with Qubes: Compartmentalization
- The Peculiar Case of Email in the Cloud
- Polishing the wegrep Wrapper Script
- A New Mental Model for Computers and Networks