Reading File Metadata with extract and libextractor
Listing 8. jpegextractor.c adds the MIME type to the list after parsing the file header.
if ( (data != 0xFF) || (data != 0xD8) ) return prev; /* not a JPEG */ addKeyword(&prev, strdup("image/jpeg"), EXTRACTOR_MIMETYPE); /* ... more parsing code here ... */ return prev;
libextractor is a simple extensible C library for obtaining metadata from documents. Its plugin architecture and broad support for formats set it apart from format-specific tools. The design is limited by the fact that libextractor cannot be used to update metadata, which more specialized tools typically support.
Resources for this article: /article/8207.
Christian Grothoff graduated from the University of Wuppertal in 2000 with a degree in mathematics. He currently is a PhD student in computer science at Purdue University, studying static program analysis and secure peer-to-peer networking. A Linux user since 1995, he has contributed to various free software projects and now is the maintainer of GNUnet and a member of the core team for libextractor. His home page can be found at grothoff.org/christian.
- Readers' Choice Awards 2013
- AIDE—Developing for Android on Android
- Best. Cake. Ever.
- Two Pi R
- The Geek's Guide to the Coolest 2013 Holiday Gifts
- Non-Linux FOSS: Let's Make Music Together
- A Handy U-Boot Trick
- Raspberry Pi: the Perfect Home Server
- RSS Feeds
- Tech Tip: Really Simple HTTP Server with Python
- Thanks for clearing that up.
45 min 15 sec ago
- Nice coding on the cake. I
12 hours 17 min ago
- Baker's identity
17 hours 6 min ago
- Uber jealous
22 hours 4 min ago
- Reality is disapointing
1 day 8 hours ago
- Máy sấy quần áo
1 day 11 hours ago
- Services on GlusterFS
1 day 11 hours ago
- Reply to comment | Linux Journal
1 day 13 hours ago
- Definitely cool stuff here
1 day 14 hours ago
- thanks for the information
1 day 15 hours ago