At the Forge - Slash
Slash is more difficult to install than any of the other packages we have discussed to date. This is partly due to the authors' choice of technology, because mod_perl inherently is more difficult to install than is PHP, used by XOOPS, or Zope. At the same time, Slash provides more community and Weblog functions than the other packages, is known to handle a high load and continues to be maintained at a fairly high level.
If you aren't afraid to get your hands dirty, and if you want the functionality the Slashdot site provides, Slash may be a good choice for Weblogs written by a community or by individuals. Next month, we will look at the personal journals that Slash allows people to make, along with the friend system that allows people to categorize other users on the system, creating a virtual community that reflects the real world.
Resources for this article: /article/7545.
- Open-Source Space
- Silicon Mechanics Gives Back
- Numerical Python
- Reglue: Opening Up the World to Deserving Kids, One Linux Computer at a Time
- New Storage Solution is Music to the Ears of Fast-Growing Digital Music Company
- Download "Linux Management with Red Hat Satellite: Measuring Business Impact and ROI"
- Linux Systems Administrator
- Senior Perl Developer
- Technical Support Rep
- UX Designer