OSCAR and Bioinformatics
The OSCAR Toolkit has come a long way since its first release. More and more people have found it easy to use and deploy—the key to getting clustering technology more widely adopted. Bioinformatics will continue to grow with high-performance computing. Soon, it is likely that cluster toolkits geared toward the bioinformatics community will become more widely available—a solution that includes all the tools for running parallel bioinformatics applications and is easy to install and deploy.
The author would like to thank Mark Mayo, Asim Siddiqui and Steven Jones for giving him the opportunity to work on the Linux cluster at the GSC and for identifying OSCAR as the tool to use. The author also would like to thank the OSCAR core team, developers and users for creating a great community for sharing HPC knowledge and information. Last, but not the least, the folks at NCSA who contributed much time and effort into the OSCAR Project. Personal thanks to Jeremy Enos, Renï¿½Warren and Martin Krzywinski for providing valuable comments and suggestions for this article.
Resources for this article: /article/7760.
Bernard Li is a High-Performance Computing Specialist at Canada's Michael Smith Genome Sciences Centre. He spends time managing the Linux cluster infrastructure and integrating bioinformatics applications with the cluster. He is a core developer for OSCAR and a fan of Sun Grid Engine. He can be reached at email@example.com.
|Dynamic DNS—an Object Lesson in Problem Solving||May 21, 2013|
|Using Salt Stack and Vagrant for Drupal Development||May 20, 2013|
|Making Linux and Android Get Along (It's Not as Hard as It Sounds)||May 16, 2013|
|Drupal Is a Framework: Why Everyone Needs to Understand This||May 15, 2013|
|Home, My Backup Data Center||May 13, 2013|
|Non-Linux FOSS: Seashore||May 10, 2013|
- RSS Feeds
- Making Linux and Android Get Along (It's Not as Hard as It Sounds)
- Using Salt Stack and Vagrant for Drupal Development
- Dynamic DNS—an Object Lesson in Problem Solving
- New Products
- Validate an E-Mail Address with PHP, the Right Way
- Drupal Is a Framework: Why Everyone Needs to Understand This
- A Topic for Discussion - Open Source Feature-Richness?
- Download the Free Red Hat White Paper "Using an Open Source Framework to Catch the Bad Guy"
- Tech Tip: Really Simple HTTP Server with Python
- Keeping track of IP address
1 hour 48 min ago
- Roll your own dynamic dns
7 hours 2 min ago
- Please correct the URL for Salt Stack's web site
10 hours 13 min ago
- Android is Linux -- why no better inter-operation
12 hours 29 min ago
- Connecting Android device to desktop Linux via USB
12 hours 57 min ago
- Find new cell phone and tablet pc
13 hours 55 min ago
15 hours 24 min ago
- Automatically updating Guest Additions
16 hours 33 min ago
- I like your topic on android
17 hours 19 min ago
- This is the easiest tutorial
23 hours 55 min ago