At the Forge - XOOPS
XOOPS is definitely not for everyone—the politics, the object-oriented code and the lack of certain features I consider vital make me think twice about recommending it. But I also have seen the time and effort it takes to get up to speed on such technologies as Zope and OpenACS, and the trade-off has not always been worthwhile. If you are an expert in PHP and MySQL, and you are looking to create a community site with good Weblog facilities, you might do well to consider XOOPS.
Resources for this article: /article/7500.
Reuven M. Lerner, a longtime consultant in Web/database programming, now is a graduate student in Learning Sciences at Northwestern University in Evanston, Illinois. You can reach him at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Let's Go to Mars with Martian Lander
- Applied Expert Systems, Inc.'s CleverView for TCP/IP on Linux
- My Childhood in a Cigar Box
- Papa's Got a Brand New NAS
- Returning Values from Bash Functions
- Tech Tip: Really Simple HTTP Server with Python
- Rogue Wave Software's TotalView for HPC and CodeDynamics
- Simplenote, Simply Awesome!
- Panther MPC, Inc.'s Panther Alpha