At the Forge - XOOPS
XOOPS is definitely not for everyone—the politics, the object-oriented code and the lack of certain features I consider vital make me think twice about recommending it. But I also have seen the time and effort it takes to get up to speed on such technologies as Zope and OpenACS, and the trade-off has not always been worthwhile. If you are an expert in PHP and MySQL, and you are looking to create a community site with good Weblog facilities, you might do well to consider XOOPS.
Resources for this article: /article/7500.
Reuven M. Lerner, a longtime consultant in Web/database programming, now is a graduate student in Learning Sciences at Northwestern University in Evanston, Illinois. You can reach him at email@example.com.
- Brent Laster's Professional Git (Wrox)
- Smoothwall Express
- Returning Values from Bash Functions
- Own Your DNS Data
- Machine Learning Everywhere
- Bash Shell Script: Building a Better March Madness Bracket
- Tech Tip: Really Simple HTTP Server with Python
- Understanding OpenStack's Success
- Simple Server Hardening
- From vs. to + for Microsoft and Linux