Arkeia 5.2 Network Backup
The product accommodates tape duplication to use, for example, if you want to keep both on-site and off-site copies of backup tapes.
The command-line clients, covered partly in the ending chapters of the User's Guide, partly in the 137-page Command Line Interface Manual, permit you to manage Arkeia through a command-line interface and let you access this software by way of your own scripts. Some sample scripts are provided.
I like this product. The GUI takes a little getting used to, and the fit and finish is rough in some places. The design shows careful thought about what a backup manager needs. Cross-platform support is good. The command-line clients ensure that you're not stuck with a closed-in GUI that won't let you get beyond what the GUI provides. The Quick Start Guide offers a painless introduction to the software, and the other two manuals pick up nicely where it leaves off. Free 30-day evaluation support was quick and courteous.
Dan Wilder is technical manager at Specialized Systems Consultants, Inc.
- Reducing Boot Time in Embedded Linux Systems
- Download "Linux Management with Red Hat Satellite: Measuring Business Impact and ROI"
- Use Linux as a SAN Provider
- diff -u: What's New in Kernel Development
- NSA: Linux Journal is an "extremist forum" and its readers get flagged for extra surveillance
- Great Scott! It's Version 13!
- RSS Feeds
- Linux Systems Administrator
- Senior Perl Developer
- Technical Support Rep