An Introduction to GraphViz
Using dot, twopi and NEATO to create graphics is not difficult. The three utilities were made according to the UNIX philosophy: they are easy to use, they do one thing well and the only requirement for using them is a simple text editor.
Graphical tools that make use of dot, twopi and NEATO languages for making graphs exist as well, but I still prefer the command line. The presented tools can be used for simple graphs as well as for complex graphs.
I would like to thank Nikos Platis for proofreading the article.
"Methods for Visual Understanding of Hierarchical System Structures". Sugiyama, K., Tagawa, S. and Toda, M. Man and Cybernetics. IEEE Trans. Systems, February 1981.
A Technique for Drawing Directed Graphs. Gansner, E. R., Koutsofios, E., North, S. C. and Vo, K. IEEE Trans. Software Engineering, May 1993.
"An algorithm for drawing general undirected graphs". Kamada, T. and Kawai, S. Information Processing Letters, April 1989.
The Design and Analysis of Computer Algorithms. Aho, Hopcroft and Ullman. Addison Wesley, 1974.
Mihalis Tsoukalos lives in Greece with his wife, Eugenia, and works as a high school teacher. Previously, he worked as a UNIX systems administrator, an Oracle DBA, a UNIX programmer and a PL/SQL programmer. He holds a B.Sc. in Mathematics and a M.Sc. in Information Technology from University College, London. Mihalis can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Readers' Choice Awards 2013
- Mars Needs Women
- RSS Feeds
- Sublime Text: One Editor to Rule Them All?
- Raspberry Pi: the Perfect Home Server
- December 2013 Issue of Linux Journal: Readers' Choice
- IBM Will Minimize Impact of Future Disasters
- Tech Tip: Really Simple HTTP Server with Python
- Linux Systems Administrator
- Senior Perl Developer
- This should be very helpful
39 min 37 sec ago
- As much as I share your point
2 hours 59 min ago
- So girls had it better ?
6 hours 31 min ago
- Reply to comment | Linux Journal
6 hours 51 min ago
- why is GNOME 3 in the fifth position at 14.1 %?
12 hours 23 min ago
- Sublime Is Brilliant!
17 hours 26 min ago
17 hours 45 min ago
- Rapid[Disk,Cache] better than native ram caching?
18 hours 10 min ago
- Nothing is perfect
18 hours 23 min ago
- Mixtapes Community
1 day 2 min ago