GUI Scripting with Tcl/Tk
Tcl/Tk is the oldest of the GUI-enabled scripting languages in common use today, but it doesn't enjoy the monopoly position it used to have. Python, coupled with GTK or Qt, now provides a more contemporary solution to many of the problems for which Tcl/Tk used to be the natural choice. Both Tcl/Tk and Visual Tcl have some ground to make up in terms of looks, features and desktop integration. Yet, the simplicity of application development offered by the mature and superbly integrated combination of the Tcl language and the Tk toolkit still is second to none. If you have a simple scripting task that would benefit from a GUI, where speed and cost of development are important, Tcl/Tk still should be near the top of the list of contenders for the job.
ActiveState Tcl Web Site: www.activestate.com/Products/ActiveTcl
Incr Tcl: incrtcl.sourceforge.net/itcl
Practical Programming in Tcl and Tk, 4th edition, by Brent Welch. Prentice-Hall PTR: www.beedub.com/book
The 11 Rules of the Tcl Syntax: www.tcl.tk/man/tcl8.4/TclCmd/Tcl.htm
Source for the Script Developed in This Article: ftp.linuxjournal.com/pub/lj/listings/issue119/7225.tgz
The Tcler's Wiki: mini.net/tcl
Tcl/Tk Headquarters: www.tcl.tk
Tcl/Tk man Pages, On-line and Downloadable: www.tcl.tk/man
Visual Tcl: vtcl.sourceforge.net
XSLT for libxml2: www.xmlsoft.org/XSLT.html
Derek Fountain is a freelance software developer, specializing in UNIX and Linux. He strongly believes in the adage of “make it as simple as possible, but no simpler”. That's why he deploys scripting solutions wherever possible. He lives in Perth, Western Australia.
- Readers' Choice Awards 2013
- Mars Needs Women
- Linux Kernel News - November 2013
- Sublime Text: One Editor to Rule Them All?
- RSS Feeds
- Raspberry Pi: the Perfect Home Server
- December 2013 Issue of Linux Journal: Readers' Choice
- IBM Will Minimize Impact of Future Disasters
- Tech Tip: Really Simple HTTP Server with Python
- Linux Systems Administrator
1 hour 39 min ago
- This should be very helpful
2 hours 53 min ago
- As much as I share your point
5 hours 13 min ago
- So girls had it better ?
8 hours 45 min ago
- Reply to comment | Linux Journal
9 hours 5 min ago
- why is GNOME 3 in the fifth position at 14.1 %?
14 hours 37 min ago
- Sublime Is Brilliant!
19 hours 40 min ago
19 hours 59 min ago
- Rapid[Disk,Cache] better than native ram caching?
20 hours 24 min ago
- Nothing is perfect
20 hours 38 min ago