GUI Scripting with Tcl/Tk
Tcl/Tk is the oldest of the GUI-enabled scripting languages in common use today, but it doesn't enjoy the monopoly position it used to have. Python, coupled with GTK or Qt, now provides a more contemporary solution to many of the problems for which Tcl/Tk used to be the natural choice. Both Tcl/Tk and Visual Tcl have some ground to make up in terms of looks, features and desktop integration. Yet, the simplicity of application development offered by the mature and superbly integrated combination of the Tcl language and the Tk toolkit still is second to none. If you have a simple scripting task that would benefit from a GUI, where speed and cost of development are important, Tcl/Tk still should be near the top of the list of contenders for the job.
ActiveState Tcl Web Site: www.activestate.com/Products/ActiveTcl
Incr Tcl: incrtcl.sourceforge.net/itcl
Practical Programming in Tcl and Tk, 4th edition, by Brent Welch. Prentice-Hall PTR: www.beedub.com/book
The 11 Rules of the Tcl Syntax: www.tcl.tk/man/tcl8.4/TclCmd/Tcl.htm
Source for the Script Developed in This Article: ftp.linuxjournal.com/pub/lj/listings/issue119/7225.tgz
The Tcler's Wiki: mini.net/tcl
Tcl/Tk Headquarters: www.tcl.tk
Tcl/Tk man Pages, On-line and Downloadable: www.tcl.tk/man
Visual Tcl: vtcl.sourceforge.net
XSLT for libxml2: www.xmlsoft.org/XSLT.html
Derek Fountain is a freelance software developer, specializing in UNIX and Linux. He strongly believes in the adage of “make it as simple as possible, but no simpler”. That's why he deploys scripting solutions wherever possible. He lives in Perth, Western Australia.
Practical books for the most technical people on the planet. Newly available books include:
- Agile Product Development by Ted Schmidt
- Improve Business Processes with an Enterprise Job Scheduler by Mike Diehl
- Finding Your Way: Mapping Your Network to Improve Manageability by Bill Childers
- DIY Commerce Site by Reven Lerner
Plus many more.
- Handheld Emulation: Achievement Unlocked!
- Download "Linux Management with Red Hat Satellite: Measuring Business Impact and ROI"
- Happy GPL Birthday VLC!
- Unikernels, Docker, and Why You Should Care
- New Products
- Don't Burn Your Android Yet
- Controversy at the Linux Foundation
- Firefox OS
- February 2016 Issue of Linux Journal
- Giving Silos Their Due