At the Forge - Integrating E-mail
E-mail is a vital part of the Internet, as anyone reading this column undoubtedly knows. But as the Internet continues to expand, e-mail is being pushed in a number of different directions. This month, we looked at Web-based forums and at some of the ways in which we can connect them to e-mail lists. We also took a brief look at qpsmtpd, an alternative SMTP server designed to be highly extensible and configurable. Next month, I hope to return to Bricolage and other open-source content management systems, with an emphasis on how to incorporate a CMS into your existing Web sites.
You can learn more about the various open-source packages discussed this month at their respective Web sites: www.OpenACS.org, www.Zope.org and www.Phorum.org. The open-source databases mentioned this month are available at www.mysql.com and www.postgresql.org.
For information about qmail and ezmlm, take a look at www.qmail.org and www.ezmlm.org. The latter site includes information about ezmlm-idx, the extensions that allow you to connect ezmlm to a relational database, among other things.
Finally, you can download SpamAssassin from www.spamassassin.org.
Reuven M. Lerner, a longtime consultant in Web/database programming, is now a graduate student in Learning Sciences at Northwestern University in Chicago. As he writes this in September, he still is hoping that winters in Chicago won't be much different from what they were in Israel.
- Readers' Choice Awards 2013
- Mars Needs Women
- RSS Feeds
- Sublime Text: One Editor to Rule Them All?
- Raspberry Pi: the Perfect Home Server
- December 2013 Issue of Linux Journal: Readers' Choice
- IBM Will Minimize Impact of Future Disasters
- Tech Tip: Really Simple HTTP Server with Python
- Linux Systems Administrator
- Senior Perl Developer
- This should be very helpful
15 min 14 sec ago
- As much as I share your point
2 hours 35 min ago
- So girls had it better ?
6 hours 6 min ago
- Reply to comment | Linux Journal
6 hours 26 min ago
- why is GNOME 3 in the fifth position at 14.1 %?
11 hours 59 min ago
- Sublime Is Brilliant!
17 hours 1 min ago
17 hours 21 min ago
- Rapid[Disk,Cache] better than native ram caching?
17 hours 46 min ago
- Nothing is perfect
17 hours 59 min ago
- Mixtapes Community
23 hours 38 min ago