4-in-1: Mini Book Reviews
Over the past month, I've read four books that I wanted to review for you: Linux TCP/IP Network Administration, Open Source Web Development with LAMP, A Practical Guide to Red Hat 8 and The Practice of System and Network Administration. This month also marked a first for me, one of these reviews was requested by a reader. If you'd like me to review a book, let me know, and I'll do my best to get it on my reading pile.
In addition to a short review of each book, I also rate them on a scale of 1 to 10. (Tens represent something pretty close to life changing, so don't look for them too often.) I hope these review help you get the most out of your books.
Title: Linux TCP/IP Network AdministrationAuthor: Scott MannPublisher: Prentice HallISBN: 0-13-032220-2
Linux TCP/IP Network Administration weighs in at 829 pages and 16 chapters. It is reasonably well organized and covers a great deal of material. Some of the material is a bit dated (for example, Red Hat 6.2 is one of the distributions covered and ipchains is given extensive coverage), which confused me a bit given the 2002 copyright date. Once I discovered that a first edition was published in the summer of 2001, things made a bit more sense.
While I wouldn't recommend this book for an absolute novice, it is approachable for less experienced readers. A great deal of information about the basic protocol stack is available, and pointers to additional documentation are found at the end of every chapter.
I liked Scott Mann's writing, and the diagrams he uses are clear and useful in understanding the text they support. This is a book that I'll keep on my shelf for reference. I'm giving it 7 stars.
Title: Open Source Web Development with LAMPAuthors: James Lee and Brent WarePublisher: Addison-WesleyISBN: 0-201-77061-X
Open Source Web Development with LAMP is a pretty good book for the person just staring with into web development in a LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySQL and Perl/PHP) environment. I was happy with the authors' statement that "The purpose of this book is to introduce you to [the] 20 percent...that opens up the most functionality, and to make you aware of the remaining 80 percent...."
In addition to the standard LAMP bits, the book also gives some coverage to WML, mod_perl, Embperl and Mason. These chapters offer the reader some insight into the tools needed to maintain a higher end web site. The Resources section at the end of each chapter is quite useful, and the bibliography is a plus as well.
The writing is clear and fun to read (except when the authors try too hard to be funny), the layout is easy to navigate and the content is approachable by most beginners. I'm going to start my 14-year-old on it as her next computer book. I give this book 7 stars.
Title: A Practical Guide to Red Hat Linux 8Author: Mark G SobellPublisher: Addison WesleyISBN: 0-201-70313-0
Mark Sobell has written a massive book (1,447 pages, excluding the index and glossary) that covers a vast amount of material of interest to the Linux newbie--and even to some folks who have been kicking around Linux for a while.
In some ways, the very size of the book works against it. It is so big as to be intimidating to the beginner. And, its encyclopedic scope works against the more advanced user who is more likely to be happy with a lighter volume dedicated to only one topic. A second problem (more likely to bother more experienced readers) is this book covers Linux breadth first and doesn't reach the depth a lot of people might want on the areas that interest them. This problem would be easier to overlook if there were pointers to further resources.
Mark has put together a solid book for the beginner, but I'm not sure it would be my first recommendation to anyone. I'll give it 6 stars.
-- -pate http://on-ruby.blogspot.com
Webinar: 8 Signs You’re Beyond Cron
On Demand NOW
Join Linux Journal and Pat Cameron, Director of Automation Technology at HelpSystems, as they discuss the eight primary advantages of moving beyond cron job scheduling. In this webinar, you’ll learn about integrating cron with an enterprise scheduler.View Now!
|My Humble Little Game Collection||May 28, 2015|
|New Linux Based OS Brings Internet of Things Closer to Reality||May 27, 2015|
|Non-Linux FOSS: All the Bitcoin, None of the Bloat||May 26, 2015|
|Dr Hjkl on the Command Line||May 21, 2015|
|Initializing and Managing Services in Linux: Past, Present and Future||May 20, 2015|
|Goodbye, Pi. Hello, C.H.I.P.||May 18, 2015|
- New Linux Based OS Brings Internet of Things Closer to Reality
- Dr Hjkl on the Command Line
- Initializing and Managing Services in Linux: Past, Present and Future
- Non-Linux FOSS: All the Bitcoin, None of the Bloat
- Using Hiera with Puppet
- Infinite BusyBox with systemd
- Gartner Dubs DivvyCloud Cool Cloud Management Vendor
- Goodbye, Pi. Hello, C.H.I.P.
- It's Easier to Ask Forgiveness...
- Urgent Kernel Patch for Ubuntu