LDAP Programming in Python
You probably are anxious now to run the program and see it in action. But first, you need to append the following code to call the main() function. It should go at the end of your script before you run it.
if __name__=='__main__': main()
Now that you have inputted everything you need to run the Python program, save the source code in your editor and name the file ldap-test.py. Give it a run and test it out. If you don't see any output, it is probably because you didn't enter a valid LDAP server and/or who and cred, or because there simply is no existing search field on the server that matches the one we're using (in this case *ryan*).
We have only gotten our feet wet with how to use Python to write LDAP applications; you can do a lot more with python-ldap. You can find more python-ldap programming examples here.
For more information, check out the python-ldap documentation. A complete list of LDAP-related RFCs also are freely available on-line. If you are looking for a good book, consider LDAP Programming, Management, and Integration by Clayton Donely and LDAP: Programming Directory-Enabled Applications With Lightweight Directory Access Protocol by Tim Howes. These books use programming languages such as C/C++, Perl and Java for their code examples, but they still can be helpful for those who wish to code LDAP applications in Python. For an open-source implementation of LDAP, visit OpenLDAP's web site. There's also a developer's mailing list.
- Readers' Choice Awards 2013
- IBM Will Minimize Impact of Future Disasters
- December 2013 Issue of Linux Journal: Readers' Choice
- Sublime Text: One Editor to Rule Them All?
- RSS Feeds
- New Products
- Raspberry Pi: the Perfect Home Server
- Linux Systems Administrator
- Tech Tip: Really Simple HTTP Server with Python
- Senior Perl Developer
- nice to see PClinuxOS finally
1 hour 50 min ago
- Personally, I am no longer a
2 hours 47 min ago
- Reply to comment | Linux Journal
16 hours 12 min ago
- It's Jupiter
17 hours 11 min ago
- GIMP is certainly a graphic
18 hours 13 min ago
- Thanks For Your Sharing
22 hours 59 min ago
- Studying linux, and looking
1 day 2 hours ago
- voting for Best Linux Distribution
1 day 10 hours ago
- tizen vs android
1 day 15 hours ago
- i switch my choice from KDE
1 day 15 hours ago